Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

Nothing wrong with a Ferris Wheel - good luck having the private sector putting a good one up and not having them go belly up at this location.

AoD

Please, don't joke about this.
The sad thing is, it doesnt seem like it's a joke anymore. 2 months ago yes, but it's looking more realistic with everyday that passes by.

I wouldnt be surprised if the man sells off Ontario Place as soon as he's elected.

The amusement park idea died a long time ago. People want hyper coasters . They go elsewhere for a learning experience. Also, The world is a smaller place and Toronto is a helluva more cosmopolitan than it was. We don't need an Ontario Place. Free, public, green space is much needed in our intensifying urban areas. Who cares how world class it is.
If you think the original idea of Ontario Place was a thrill ride park like Canada's Wonderland, you really did not know Ontario Place at all! It was never meant to compete with places like Wonderland. It was supposed to be a place for culture, education, promoting the province, new technology/architecture and more like a world's fair, than a regular amusement park.

The fun was based on physical play like Children's Village, mini-golf and the water slides, not roller coasters. Sure, they had some small thrill rides but that was never the focus of the park. The place also had about a dozen restaurants and bars, some with live music and dancing. It was actually a fun place for adults too! They had 2 main stages for free entertainment EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! You could see top entertainers for the low admission price, as well as free children's shows in the floating pods and a free sports museum too, in the pods. Ontario North Now was a showcase for the province and always had cool displays, and yes, it was free too!

Ontario Place only started losing its shine when the government stopped maintaining the attractions. In fact, the government not only let the attractions deteriorate but they closed down the most popular parts like the Forum, Children's Village, Ontario North Now and some of the restaurants. To make matters worse, they removed the sports museum and public shows from the floating pods and they turned them all over to a corporation, for private events ONLY! So no more free shows for the kiddies.

If Canada's Wonderland had done the same thing, closing down their roller coasters once they needed repairs, closing down the entertainment shows and just let the park deteriorate in general, do you think it would still be doing well today? If so, Google Crystal Beach and see how that worked out! Without new attractions and a well maintained park over-all, no amusement park is successful for long, so I am NOT buying the argument, that Torontonians just outgrew Ontario Place after Wonderland opened. Those 2 parks offered completely different experiences and catered to a different crowd.

I have no doubt in my mind, that if the government kept Ontario Place well maintained and up to date, it would still have been successful and a great attraction for the city! If we want to be considered a destination for tourists, Toronto needs all the tourist attractions it can get! Think of how many people, including young people, were employed by Ontario Place. Compare that to how many people work at Ontario Place today and I am sure, it's not even close to what it was in 2009. In fact, I am sure that once OP is finally finised, it will not even employ 1/2 of the people it did in 2009! I think it will mostly become a weekend-only affair and not a daily attraction like it once was.

Ontario Place attendance in its last year was just over 1 million people. Is that so terrible?

- AGO gets just over 700,ooo visits a year
- Toronto Zoo gets 1.3 million visitors per year (and that's with being properly maintained!)

Should we think of closing them down too?

From the first time I walked into Ontario Place, the architecture had me spellbound and the Cinesphere delighted my senses. For me, Ontario Place was the most beautiful urban park in Canada and to this day, I still think it is spectacular! In closing, NO, I am NOT a happy camper when it comes to Ontario Place and the way the Liberal government has treated this whole affair! I want to maintain hope but it's fading fast with each new announcement.

Last edited:
OP needs to have its niche not available elsewhere. The educational stuff, the concert venue, and nice beaches and picnic are are good. Restaurants, bars, and other fun activities are also a good idea for three seasons, like boardwalk towns. As far as rides, they don't need all the capital risk of a giant ferris wheel or permanent coasters. Something much more economical but still draw a crowd of gawkers would be a slingshot, or perhaps a treetop zipline course. Not a lot of capital expense, but plenty of fun people watching activities.

http://www.slingshotpcb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/slingshotcopter1.jpg

slingshotcopter1.jpg

http://www.oldportofmontreal.com/sites/default/files/2017-02/mtl-zip-line-and-quick-jump-07.jpg

mtl-zip-line-and-quick-jump-07.jpg

Attachments

• slingshotcopter1.jpg
    slingshotcopter1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 382
  • mtl-zip-line-and-quick-jump-07.jpg
    mtl-zip-line-and-quick-jump-07.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 320
OP needs to have its niche not available elsewhere. The educational stuff, the concert venue, and nice beaches and picnic are are good. Restaurants, bars, and other fun activities are also a good idea for three seasons, like boardwalk towns. As far as rides, they don't need all the capital risk of a giant ferris wheel or permanent coasters. Something much more economical but still draw a crowd of gawkers would be a slingshot, or perhaps a treetop zipline course. Not a lot of capital expense, but plenty of fun people watching activities.
A rock climbing wall would be an excellent activity of the sort you described. Place it in a corner of a public area like a plaza/square, where people can sit and watch.

Yes, I would like to see rides/amusements that encourage kids (and adults) to be physical and get exercise while they are having fun, so things like a rock climing wall would be great. I really want to see the water slides return. They were a great way for kids to get exercise climbing those steps while having fun going down the slide. Just give the place a strong Ontario theme and put some real effort/creativity into it!

Why are we getting no info about what will be done with those floating pods? There is a lot that can be doen with that space. Also, when will all the restaurants/bars/west stage reopen? Ontario Place bars & restaurants use to do really good business.

Here's how everything looked on Sunday. Pretty eerie experience walking around the defunct parts of the grounds. Quite a contrast to the animation of Trillium Park.

Trillium Park by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Ontario Place by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

It's almost summer, yet there are no restaurants open anywhere in Ontario Place. Why is that? How can you bring your family here if there is nowhere to buy foood or drinks in the park?

When most cities would cherish something like this, why did this happen? :eek::mad:

Agreed. There are some beautiful structures and so much potential here. Toronto is in need of much more convention space in downtown. If we could connect Ontario Place to Union with a waterfront LRT it would it make sense to convert this space. In addition, ferries could make this a destination from the Jack Layton Terminal - which could be a fun trip.

we need to fix all that is forgotten and broken and old this is the 21st century..rebuild the with new since electronics game screens for kids and old..something like that..and lot more like a out door not rides.. something totally different.. we need to get this place back into action...

Some interesting details coming out about the bid process for the other half of the park have been exposed:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...o-place-in-toronto-shelved-during-transition/

What I find laughable is Larry Tanenbaum's bid for the project; not only did it somehow make it in the top 3 and beat out 17 others on the shortlist, but he requested $500 million from the Province for essentially parkland and an educational campus. If his bid was selected, it would have been a huge travesty and an outright embarrassment. Actually, the fact that it was even considered is just questionable and ridiculous.

Back