Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

Let's see how badly Lisa MacLeod will botch this portfolio as well.

She’s like Midas’ opposite.

I will be royally pissed if they allow the successful proponent to tear up Trillium Park and/or the pods, though if I were a betting man I’d say the latter are already goners.

I will be royally pissed if they allow the successful proponent to tear up Trillium Park and/or the pods, though if I were a betting man I’d say the latter are already goners.

The pods would be nice to save but they are likely in need of structural maintenance and/or repairs after all these years in the water and empty. At this point it may be cheaper to implode them and start new.

Whatever the powers decide to go with, it will be a real shame in my opinion to construct some largely enclosed theme park type attraction. The Ontario Place site is wonderfully located on the waterfront with great city views all round. The popularTrillium Park is low key and should be emulated on other parts of this site rather than be the subject of worried speculation. With Ferris wheel Doug pushing this , one can only hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Can't think of a worse time to be even thinking about constructing an amusement park.

I bet the announcement will be to announce the announcement of a coming announcement.

I hope that if there is an amusement park/resort type proposal, that Forrec is leading the design team of the winning bid.

One would think they'd be extra-incentivized to produce something special within their own city.

A whole 2 million dollars, eh? lol Oh well, I guess I'm relieved because I was expecting much worse. I want to keep Ontario Place a major attraction for entertainment, culture, leisure, amusement, education and FUN! I would hate to see it go residential or become a luxury resort for a small demographic. The focus needs to be the needs of the general public, not corporations. I also want the pods and Cinesphere kept but obviously, renovated and put to good public use. I also would like it to be a year round tourist attraction, with numerous indoor areas for Winter use.

Last edited:
A whole 2 million dollars, eh? lol Oh well, I guess I'm relieved because I was expecting much worse. I want to keep Ontario Place a major attraction for entertainment, culture, leisure, amusement, education and FUN! I would hate to see it go residential or become a luxury resort for a small demographic. The focus needs to be the needs of the general public, not corporations. I also want the pods and Cinesphere kept but obviously, renovated and put to good public use. I also would like it to be a year round tourist attraction, with numerous indoor areas for Winter use.
With the Exhibition lands immediately north of Ontario Place there appears to be plenty of opportunity for tourist attraction type venues without overdoing the creation of indoor uses for the valuable waterfront areas. I also would like to see the pods rejuvenated. Does anyone know at what stage the discussion of Ontario Place/Exhibition lands potential consolidation is ? This seems like a most natural fit and a very exciting one at that.

For new forum members, here's a demented(?) plan called Ontario Place Redux I did 7 years ago to revitalize (and retain) Ontario Place and add an entire floating village called Arcology Village that was intended in part to help keep OP a year-round destination. Smaller versions of such "floating neighbourhoods" have been built around the world.

The idea of birthing a neighbourhood around OP was somewhat inspired by Eb Zeidler's original masterplan for OP that included an infill neighbourhood called Harbour City.

* Not surprisingly, I received zero feedback from the city despite substantial media coverage. The City: “oh not this guy again” lol.

LARGE OVERVIEW RENDER:

http://www.upside-down.ca/OntarioPlace-Redux-masterplan.jpg

SUPPORTING WORDS (and pics) PDF

www.upside-down.ca/OntarioPlace-Redux-masterplan-email.pdf

Back