Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

Below would seem to be one of the most innocuous and probably undeserving of attention press releases ever. Mostly outlining inconsequential routing maintenance projects at various tourism sites.

That said, this last bit made me wonder.............

Ontario Place Corporation
  • Land improvements to accommodate third-party programming

“It’s not going to be a smackdown.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...pid=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Carl Demarco, a Toronto businessman and former executive with World Wrestling Entertainment, is among those involved in bids to redevelop Ontario Place, the defunct amusement park on Toronto’s waterfront that Premier Doug Ford wants to transform into a “world-class” attraction.

Just what Mr. Demarco − the former long-time head of WWE’s Canadian operations and its president of global business development until 2009 − has in mind remains under wraps. He and the other bidders submitting competing proposals for the 68-acre site have all had to sign non-disclosure agreements as part of the process.

... bidders submitting competing proposals for the 68-acre site have all had to sign non-disclosure agreements as part of the process.
Submission Deadline Sept 3, 2019
Assessment and Due Diligence Sept - Nov 2019
Commercial Negotiations and Closing 2020
Do we get to hear about the proposals soon?
The G&M story says "submission deadline was being extended from Tuesday, Sept. 3 to Sept. 24."
Of the things mentioned in the article, I suppose the Therme spa/waterpark sounds the most appropriate.
Any sports or entertainment venue attracting large crowds should be across the road inside Exhibition Place where it is closer to the GO train station.

Last edited:
New pitch from Joe Berridge and Ken Tanenbaum for a different Ontario Place...
Presentation here: https://theperfectcity.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2019/03/OPX-brochure_March-2019.pdf
...the Food Building is in a bad state and should be torn down...
The "new MLSE/ Live Nation event centre" seems a little odd. It would be another outdoor venue in addition to the amphitheatre (Budweiser Stage) and the CNE Bandshell across the road, when Toronto could use a large indoor purpose-built entertainment venue that would also fit into the idea of making Exhibition/Ontario Place more of a year-round destination.
If the plan is to have a new "Retail and Food Village" area as the brochure shows would be along Lake Shore Blvd, would the grubby old warehouse-like Food Building be needed anymore? It could be a good location for an indoor mid-sized (6 or 7000-seat) entertainment venue, maybe joined onto a new north part of BMO Field with some shared concessions.
Apparently the lease for the Queen Elizabeth Theatre may be expiring in April 2020, so maybe the entire Queen Elizabeth Building could be another option.
If the expansion of the trade centre happens as shown, that would probably end the annual IndyCar race, as it would completely occupy the area used for the pit lane and trackside suites.

Last edited:
Ontario Place added to international list of ‘at-risk cultural heritage sites’

By David Rider City Hall Bureau Chief
Tues., Oct. 29, 2019

I wonder why the Cinesphere and Pods have never been declared national historic sites under the auspices of Parks Canada.

I will say this though, the Cinesphere really is not practical for commercial movies anymore but it would make a good museum space or film venue.I saw North of Superior there a few years ago and it was not ideal for watching modern movies.

Ontario Place added to international list of ‘at-risk cultural heritage sites’

By David Rider City Hall Bureau Chief
Tues., Oct. 29, 2019

Oh, it should be. If the Conservatives are known for praising and supporting history, why the hell do they want to tear down historic buildings. You could say it's to "make something new", but it's not.

I wonder why the Cinesphere and Pods have never been declared national historic sites under the auspices of Parks Canada.

I will say this though, the Cinesphere really is not practical for commercial movies anymore but it would make a good museum space or film venue.I saw North of Superior there a few years ago and it was not ideal for watching modern movies.

A few years ago I saw "The Trolley" documentary there, and yeah, although currently Cirque De Soeil is being shown there, maybe older plays or movies should be show be there, assuming Ford doesn't flick a switch.

Oh, it should be. If the Conservatives are known for praising and supporting history, why the hell do they want to tear down historic buildings. You could say it's to "make something new", but it's not.

A few years ago I saw "The Trolley" documentary there, and yeah, although currently Cirque De Soeil is being shown there, maybe older plays or movies should be show be there, assuming Ford doesn't flick a switch.

I just found it to be too small. The seats were cramped and close together without sightline seating. It was like being in a pre-1998 theatre.

Trying to get in and out of the rows to the washroom or exit was not fun. It was not made with todays films in mind.

3D - most films aren't in 3D
UltraAVX - never heard of this so can't comment
Sightline seating - while this is nice to have, it isn't something related specifically to films currently being released
spacious seating - while this is nice to have, it isn't something related specifically to films currently being released
D-Bag - never heard of this so can't comment
4DX - never heard of this so can't comment

Last edited:
3D - most films aren't in 3D
UltraAVX - never heard of this so can't comment
Sightline seating - while this is nice to have, it isn't something related to films currently being released
spacious seating - while this is nice to have, it isn't something related to films currently being released
D-Bag - never heard of this so can't comment
4DX - never heard of this so can't comment

Ultra AVX - made up term for slightly larger curved screen, digital projection and sound and rocker seats

D-Box is seating w/motion capability synchronized to the movie think the old space shuttle simulator rides where seats tilted back/forward at key moments

4DX is D-Box plus environmental effects (mist, fake snow, fog and scents etc)
Its only available at 3 locations (and select screens thereof in all of Cineplex), the only Toronto area location is Yonge/Dundas

Gonna add here, the above isn't really my thing. I miss the Uptown and the Eglinton and the York; cinemas that gave you a sense of event through their architecture and interior design.

Back