Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Capacity will not be a proble. This is a high capacity line and remember that by the time it opens, RER will be going strong so you won't get as many people from Scar taking the subway in the first place.

What I'm interested in is what happens to Queen when the line is done. Do they still intend to run the Queen streetcar? Are they going to make Queen a pedestrian only zone or is the city going to continue to place pedestrians at the back of the bus and just ;et it stay the same as it is now? I don't recall this being discussed but it's an important issue when it comes to the effect the OL will have on the city's urban development and realm.
I don't believe that the 501 will be replaced - it's too long, the Ontario Line isn't designed for local service, and all of the maps and plans show a streetcar continuing to exist on Queen St.

The renderings do not show a pedestrianized Queen St, though I would imagine that as street-level construction wraps up, we will see some serious proposals for a King St-style improvement of Queen. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I don't believe that the 501 will be replaced - it's too long, the Ontario Line isn't designed for local service, and all of the maps and plans show a streetcar continuing to exist on Queen St.

The renderings do not show a pedestrianized Queen St, though I would imagine that as street-level construction wraps up, we will see some serious proposals for a King St-style improvement of Queen. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Queen Street made pedestrianized with only streetcar tracks and no car lanes would be amazing!

... the Queen streetcar can't really ever be eliminated as its included as part of the Queen West Heritage district - which stretches from University to Bathurst on Queen st W. If Queen were to become like King St ... they better improve the DVP / Eastern / Adelaide / Richmond interchange to include southbound movements to better manage the removal of a critical route from the East End.

Ohh boyy, what I would give for such streets in Downtown Toronto. Does the LRT pictured here also run on 3rd rail technology embedded between the tracks? There are so many good things in this picture! Add in bike lanes and it would make such a street even better!

Where is this, might I ask?

Ohh boyy, what I would give for such streets in Downtown Toronto. Does the LRT pictured here also run on 3rd rail technology embedded between the tracks? There are so many good things in this picture! Add in bike lanes and it would make such a street even better!

This looks like George Street in Sydney.

Here's the problem though, it's slow. When the risk of pedestrians going in front of trains is this high, the trains operate at speeds no more than like 25km/h. In a lot of times it's actually faster to just bike down the street than to take the tram.

This looks like George Street in Sydney.

Here's the problem though, it's slow. When the risk of pedestrians going in front of trains is this high, the trains operate at speeds no more than like 25km/h. In a lot of times it's actually faster to just bike down the street than to take the tram.

That's fair enough. The speed might be comparable to current speeds of the downtown streetcars in mixed traffic though. Or, we can put up a small curb or concrete planters close to the streetcar tracks to make it harder for pedestrians to cross into the streetcar tracks.

View attachment 391830
is it me or is that a reallly steep tunnel?
It's not that steep. The horizontal direction has a smaller scale than the vertical direction, so while the profile measures 44 meters from top to bottom, it measures 600 meters from left to right. So, eyeballing it, the tunnel and the rail appear to be about 4 times steeper than they will be in reality.

That is third rail tech in the middle, however that technology won't work here, it fails with even the slightest bit of ice/snow.

That's fair enough. The speed might be comparable to current speeds of the downtown streetcars in mixed traffic though. Or, we can put up a small curb or concrete planters close to the streetcar tracks to make it harder for pedestrians to cross into the streetcar tracks.
There is a decent-sized curb on each side of the Spadina ROW, and people (including me on occasion, I admit) cross the ROW between intersections. I believe that the speed of the 510 is limited to 11 km/hr (source) because of ridiculous pedestrian behaviour.

Back