Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The design is done, and they are already tendering it, with the goal to award it before the elections.

Not only does it all fit in, they are also building a new east-west road, just north of the station, from Dufferin to just west of Strachan (I think it joins up with Western Battery Road).

There's a lot of width there, as they've been reserving land for that road for decades - at one point as that cancelled ramp from the Gardiner that was to join up with Front and Bathurst.

Much of that land is those parking lots currently.
View attachment 376567
And the purple bit marked as A was built years ago and just not opened.

Have no idea why the pedestrian bridge is "temporary" if you are going to build it....just keep it. It won't be fancy (needn't be going over an expessway) but it can add valuable flexibility to an area designed to attract large, but fluctuating, volumes of people.

Have no idea why the pedestrian bridge is "temporary" if you are going to build it....just keep it. It won't be fancy (needn't be going over an expessway) but it can add valuable flexibility to an area designed to attract large, but fluctuating, volumes of people.
i do believe thats because theyre rebuilding the underground tunnels. which are the only way to get from the south side of the tracks to the north. which get...busy to say the least during tfc games

The confusing part is that ive seen theese images which shows an above ground concourse. maybe theyre going to have both?
1623876802-exhibition1.jpg
1623876716-exhibition0.jpg

The tunnel was extended at the same time A was built but they left the hoarding up....said they built it all too narrow to safely use if I recall correctly.

One block is too far for you?

View attachment 376539 From link.

It's a shorter distance than most high-rises around the most current suburban subway stations. Must be the stairs that are the obstacle course.
For the Liberty Village residents, it's probably the psychological "burden" of walking away from your destination (being downtown) to get to Exhibition Station. It will all even out when the left side of this map gets redeveloped and there are thousands of residents walking to Exhibition Station from the west.

Terminating at Exhibition has always been a very questionable decision to me. Realistically, I think a "Liberty Village" station was only ever going to be located on the edge of Liberty Village. But, they picked the wrong edge. Located at the very south of the neighbourhood, the station feels very isolated. Sure, it serves Liberty Village residents well enough. But as its quite far from King St (with a rail corridor located in-between), it doesn't serve anyone else, and I'm not sure the events at Exhibition/Ontario Place or future development will make up for that.

As it stands, I feel like the west end of the city is going to get shafted big time by the OL. The gap between Exhibition and King/Bathurst is significant (25 minute walk), and I fear future governments will be unable to resist the allure of extending the OL further west at-grade along the rail tracks, skipping much of the west half of the city in the process (35 minute walk to King-Roncy).

Personally I would have liked the Ontario line more if they had taken the opportunity to switch to a King St alignment. This could have allowed them to connect with King-Liberty Station and the multiple GO routes (and UP Express) that will pass it. Though I'll admit it would certainly have significant cost and constructibility implications. That would also eliminate the "upside down U" through the downtown, which I was, am, and will likely never be a fan of.

Last edited:
Terminating at Exhibition has always been a very questionable decision to me. Realistically, I think a "Liberty Village" station was only ever going to be located on the edge of Liberty Village. But, they picked the wrong edge. Located at the very south of the neighbourhood, the station feels very isolated. Sure, it serves Liberty Village residents well enough. But as its quite far from King St (with a rail corridor located in-between), it doesn't serve anyone else, and I'm not sure the events at Exhibition/Ontario Place or future development will make up for that.

As it stands, I feel like the west end of the city is going to get shafted big time by the OL. The gap between Exhibition and King/Bathurst is significant (25 minute walk), and I fear future governments will be unable to resist the allure of extending the OL further west at-grade along the rail tracks, skipping much of the west half of the city in the process (35 minute walk to King-Roncy).

Personally I would have liked the Ontario line more if they had taken the opportunity to switch to a King St alignment. This could have allowed them to connect with King-Liberty Station and the multiple GO routes (and UP Express) that will pass it. Though it would certainly have significant cost and constructibility implications. That would also eliminate the "upside down U" through the downtown, which I was, am, and will likely never be a fan of.
The west extension is a long ways ahead... atleast 2 decades. First will come the OL-N extension up Don Mills to probably Sheppard based upon an elevated alignment however I am sure some folks will try to push it to Seneca College at Don Mills and Finch. Time will tell but OL-N is much needed before a west extension thats forsure.

Terminating at Exhibition has always been a very questionable decision to me. ... The gap between Exhibition and King/Bathurst is significant (25 minute walk)

Exhibition is an odd terminus, but Ontario line has a planned station at King/Bathurst so the walk time is 0 minutes

, and I fear future governments will be unable to resist the allure of extending the OL further west at-grade along the rail tracks, skipping much of the west half of the city in the process (35 minute walk to King-Roncy).

The rail tracks go directly to King-Roncy. King-Roncy is the one part of the West End that would not be skipped by a hypothetical extension along the rail tracks

The west extension is a long ways ahead... atleast 2 decades. First will come the OL-N extension up Don Mills to probably Sheppard based upon an elevated alignment however I am sure some folks will try to push it to Seneca College at Don Mills and Finch. Time will tell but OL-N is much needed before a west extension thats forsure.
At first my response to this was going to be somewhat incredulous, as that's a long time, and things move along faster than they used to. Then I realized I was only considering planning and not construction.

I'll cross my fingers for a decade and a half. =)
Exhibition is an odd terminus, but Ontario line has a planned station at King/Bathurst so the walk time is 0 minutes

The rail tracks go directly to King-Roncy. King-Roncy is the one part of the West End that would not be skipped by a hypothetical extension along the rail tracks
You're missing my point, but maybe I could have expressed it better. The walk times are just a metric of stop spacing. A person located exactly halfway between each station would have to walk 12.5 minutes to either exhibition or Bathurst. Which admittedly isn't too bad now that I think about it, but it is on the high end for a downtown station. A 17.5 minute walk to either exhibition or roncy would be pretty awful, however, if it plays out that way.

Because the final structure isn't ready yet. Presumably there'll be times the tunnel has to be closed.

Tunnel is already dangerously packed at time - can't wait 10 years to relieve it. Seems quite a reasonable pragmatic approach!

I think people underestimate the number of people that go to events at exhibition. A TFC game, for example, will fill a few go trains before and after the game. The route of the OL means that if you live on line 1 and want to get to exhibition, you no longer need to transfer onto already busy GO trains or streetcars at Union and instead can transfer to the OL and get to exhibition faster.

Back