Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

That, but also I think it might makes sense to possibly extend it to Liberty Village GO, have a people mover that serves 3 destinations, and allows passengers onto both OL, LSW, and Kitchener.

I think it will be hard to find a surface or elevated path for monorail / gondola / streetcar from the Exhibition station to Liberty Village GO.

From Exhibition south to Ontario Place, elevated should be doable.

hey look another propaganda piece
the amount of straight up propaganda coming from mx is insane about the ontario line
What do you expect to come from Metrolinx? Yes of course what they're going to say is trying to paint whatever they're doing as positive because they're a government agency whose existence relies on being supported by the general public, and if we're judging transit agencies based off how much propaganda they put out, literally all agencies would be guilty as charged. Go to the youtube channel of any agency, and look at how many videos they put out where they show these nice renders of stuff they're doing or how they're helping the community. By definition, all of it is propaganda.

Just go up Liberty. The new GO station should be near intersection of Atlantic and King. Second choice Hanna.
The platforms for the Liberty Village GO/Smartrack station are just west of Sudbury St. and run north from King St. There’s a large undeveloped parcel of land southwest of Sudbury between Lisgar and Abell streets. Anyway you just need a landing/launch pad, probably within the grounds of the station, especially if we move to zone-based fare structure, in which case all of the transit systems will operate as a single system. Beyond that you just need enough space to install the gondola posts. Cheap and easy to build. This is off the shelf ski resort infrastructure. It would connect users to the planned Railpath extension. So you could have a day out at the Ex and Ontario Place, hop on the gondola for city views, and land at the Railpath for a walk and dinner/drinks in West Queen West. It nicely stitches together the streetcar network from Trinity-Bellwoods and Parkdale with Liberty Village, the CNE, Ontario Place, two major GO lines, and the Ontario Line,

Last edited:
What do you expect to come from Metrolinx? Yes of course what they're going to say is trying to paint whatever they're doing as positive because they're a government agency whose existence relies on being supported by the general public, and if we're judging transit agencies based off how much propaganda they put out, literally all agencies would be guilty as charged. Go to the youtube channel of any agency, and look at how many videos they put out where they show these nice renders of stuff they're doing or how they're helping the community. By definition, all of it is propaganda.

I expect forthright communication - which Mlinx hasn't had the greatest record of?

Anyways, back to the issue of a link between OL and Ex/OP - different types of traffic requires different solutions - for crush sporadic crush loads, you are probably best off improving the pedestrian experience (which is frankly non-existent at the Ex/OP); for base loads, gondola/people movers types are fine.

AoD

Last edited:
Anyways, back to the issue of a link between OL and Ex/OP - different types of traffic requires different solutions - for crush sporadic crush loads, you are probably best off improving the pedestrian experience (which is frankly non-existent at the Ex/OP); for base loads, gondola/people movers types are fine.

AoD
I do agree, although I do worry that while allowing for pedestrianization is a step in the right direction, it is not a good long term solution. Ontario Place is located 550m away from Exhibition Loop. While its not a bad walking distance under most circumstances, for what could potentially be a massive location after revitalization it is a bit much. I always consider Canada's Wonderland to be pretty bad when it comes to accessing it via transit, but even if we ignore for a second the direct to wonderland bus services, walking to the bus stop at Jane Street for the 4, the 20, and in the future Viva Silver is only 300m through a parking lot. Ontario Place at the very least could make use of some form of people mover connecting it to Exhibition on top of pedestrianization, at the very least to provide options to people during times where the people mover is crush loaded.

CNE Alpine Way, ca. 1968
When it opened at the CNE in 1966, the Alpine Way was unique in North America.

Built by the Bridge & Tank Company of Canada and operated by Conklin Shows, its two aerial lines of suspended cable cars ran for half a mile through Exhibition Place.

Predating the widespread use of gondolas on ski hills, the Alpine Way also inspired a similar ride at Expo67 in Montreal.

Alpine Way was torn down in 1994 to allow for construction of the National Trade Centre (now the Enercare Centre).

Conklin Shows briefly considered building new concrete pilings and running the Alpine Way from Exhibition Place to Ontario Place, but the plan was never realized.

...and continue it along the water front to Centre Island. 😄 😄 😄

Novel idea, but probably too far. Running a gondola from Exhibition GO/Ontario Line terminus to OP however should be very doable and be made a priority. It would be cheap and easy to install, not to mention it would be a fun tourist attraction all on its own. The Alpine Way at the CNE was one of its best features, which I have very fond memories of riding growing up here in the 80's. Its removal was one of many reasons that the Ex felt less special every year.

A second gondola from somewhere on the harbourfront over to the island would make a lot of sense as well, I think. You wouldn't have to worry about bridges impeding ships and what-not.

Novel idea, but probably too far. Running a gondola from Exhibition GO/Ontario Line terminus to OP however should be very doable and be made a priority. It would be cheap and easy to install, not to mention it would be a fun tourist attraction all on its own. The Alpine Way at the CNE was one of its best features, which I have very fond memories of riding growing up here in the 80's. Its removal was one of many reasons that the Ex felt less special every year.

A second gondola from somewhere on the harbourfront over to the island would make a lot of sense as well, I think. You wouldn't have to worry about bridges impeding ships and what-not.

Not a bad idea to run it to the Islands - BUT - it is probably not doable in the short/medium term since it will interfere with the airport.

AoD

Back