Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Isn't the terminus technically Liberty Village? How's it going to be a dead zone?
South of King Street and north of Exhibition Place will be a lively zone after hours.

1627686263461.png
From link. Unless their condominium rules are the same as your mother's rules. Be home by 9 PM, there's school the next day.

I think an elevated people mover, monorail, or gondola system between Exhibition and Ontario Place would not only serve the transportation need, but also be a fun experience. Not sure it would be economically viable though. A spur of the Bathurst line would make sense.
Once upon a time, there was a scheme to put the "new" Exhibition Loop at Ontario Place who nixed the idea because ... wait for it ... the loop would reduce the amount of parking on their site. There was also a scheme to put the loop under the Trade Centre, but the City wouldn't pay for it. So the streetcars are stuck up at the north end under the Gardiner, and there's lots of parking under the Trade Centre.

It would be like an 8-10 minute walk from the Ontario Line station. Not exactly anything crazy.
In ye olden days, a walk from Exhibition Loop to Ontario Place was not bad except ... when the Indy made a straight route impassible or the Ex (including its setup and tear down period) completely blocked the route. I remember having to walk in from roughly Fleet Loop because that "not anything crazy" route wasn't available. There is a big problem with the fact that the Ex makes Ont Place inaccessible by transit during two big chunks of the summer.

As noted in the Ontario Place thread, the terminus of the Ontario LIne is going to be a dead zone most weekdays.
Most of its ridership is coming from GO Transfer customers. It won't be a dead zone, there's other stuff there (the 511, 509, potentially the 504/514 thing, the 29, and probably in the future, some more rerouted routes), Liberty Village, and the Ex there. It's a fine location.

Once upon a time, there was a scheme to put the "new" Exhibition Loop at Ontario Place who nixed the idea because ... wait for it ... the loop would reduce the amount of parking on their site. There was also a scheme to put the loop under the Trade Centre, but the City wouldn't pay for it. So the streetcars are stuck up at the north end under the Gardiner, and there's lots of parking under the Trade Centre.
For myself, it was the parking lots (plural) that decreased my desire to go to Ontario Place (and movie theatres).

Most attractions should provide better public transit access to them, without having to safari across any asphalt desert. Why are most new movie theatre complexes these days have vast barrier separating them from public transit.

1627740048322.png
From link.

I think an elevated people mover, monorail, or gondola system between Exhibition and Ontario Place would not only serve the transportation need, but also be a fun experience. Not sure it would be economically viable though. A spur of the Bathurst line would make sense.
Maybe something like the Pearson LINK train.

That, but also I think it might makes sense to possibly extend it to Liberty Village GO, have a people mover that serves 3 destinations, and allows passengers onto both OL, LSW, and Kitchener.

I loved the Appian Way. Why not have a gondola that could also handle the winter? I like the three stop idea too of providing a connection to the Kitchener Line. At that point the Exhibition OL station really becomes a major transportation hub, and it could nicely tie into new extended Railpath alongside the Kitchener line.

Why not even that moving idiotic moving walkway the city was considering to connect Union station to the waterfront. I mean hey, if they were stupid enough to consider it there, why not bring it back into consideration here.

(Just to be clear neither the moving walkway, nor a Link style train is really a good idea).

Why not even that moving idiotic moving walkway the city was considering to connect Union station to the waterfront. I mean hey, if they were stupid enough to consider it there, why not bring it back into consideration here.

(Just to be clear neither the moving walkway, nor a Link style train is really a good idea).
I think a LINK style train would be okay, my only real concern is whether or not it has enough capacity to support the large movement of people required at specific intervals, with something like Ontario Place I expect passenger flow to be extremely sporadic. Maybe a Gondola?

With curved platform doors

It's been done, though you don't actually need curved doors

A streetcar extension wouldn't be nearly as fun as some form of elevated transport which are pretty common for connecting exhibition sites etc and it would require some form of tunneling etc anyway because as you mention the Indy is a problem.

It's been done, though you don't actually need curved doors

A streetcar extension wouldn't be nearly as fun as some form of elevated transport which are pretty common for connecting exhibition sites etc and it would require some form of tunneling etc anyway because as you mention the Indy is a problem.
Some cities have done just that with their trams. Portions of their tram lines are elevated.
elevated-tram-structure-4311779.jpg

elevated-railway-6634720.jpg

elevated-railway-tram-hague-netherlands-48935381.jpg

speed-tram-3415693.jpg
From link.

Back