Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Maybe the city should NOW build streetcar tracks and switches on Dundas Street East between Broadview Avenue and Carlaw Avenue, continuing with Carlaw Avenue from Queen Street East to Gerrard Street East, including Old Gerrard Street. Street closures will be needed for Queen Street East (Riverside-Leslieville Statoin) and Gerrard Street East (Gerrard Station). Detours of streetcars could use Carlaw Avenue, Dundas Street East, and Old Gerrard Street, for the 501 QUEEN/503 KINGSTON ROAD and 506 CARLTON streetcars. Once the Ontario Line opens, the tracks could then be used for a re-routed 505 DUNDAS streetcars.

1644273623351.png

1644273650695.png

Old Gerrard Street is shown as Gerrard Street East, which is split by the railway at Carlaw Avenue...
1644273860806.png

Last edited:
What do you mean by crossovers? I would appreciate if you could explain that please as I am not very familiar
Terminal-with-crossovers-located-in-advance-of-station.jpg

Terminal with crossovers located in advance of station​

Usual crossover on Toronto subway.

Turnback-operation-with-one-tail-track-T1.jpg

Turnback operation with one tail track (T1)​

Used on Montreal Metro.

From link.

Wow I didn't realize it was to veer off Pape just north and south of Danforth to such an extent. Lot of homes it's going under. How would that work with the precedent of Verster's deep dive in Thornhill. And nice to see the line skirt around the archery range. Was kinda worried it was to bisect it. Lot of sick single track bike trails on the hillside that can (eventually) become incorporated amongst the bridge piers. Switchbacks and whatnot.

Wow I didn't realize it was to veer off Pape just north and south of Danforth to such an extent. Lot of homes it's going under. How would that work with the precedent of Verster's deep dive in Thornhill. And nice to see the line skirt around the archery range. Was kinda worried it was to bisect it. Lot of sick single track bike trails on the hillside that can (eventually) become incorporated amongst the bridge piers. Switchbacks and whatnot.
Pape isn't in a riding that may vote conservative, so let's be real, they won't care if it goes under houses here. Thornhill got what it wanted cus of political reasons, nothing more.

That said, if we change governments in June, we could see changes to Pape, due to it being a riding the other parties do compete for. But hopefully not. It's a better transfer design than what the TTC had proposed. (which to be fair, could be used as justification for why it has to run under houses and shouldn't be insanely deep)

Pape isn't in a riding that may vote conservative, so let's be real, they won't care if it goes under houses here. Thornhill got what it wanted cus of political reasons, nothing more.
On the other hand, this line is very deep at Pape. The vibrations from the Pape subway, will very likely be less than they are already getting from the very shallow Danforth subway.

Looks like we are going to get the first Bloor-Danforth station with an entrance on Danforth. Hopefully more to come!
As someone not originally from Toronto, it's always so bizarre to me that the Bloor-Danforth subway has so few entrances on Bloor or Danforth. I get why it was built the way it was, but It's strange so little effort has been made until now to connect it directly to the streets it's named for.

looking at it in a bit more detail now - some of the property takes for it are a bit more extensive than I expected.

Exhibition takes a good number of warehouses along the south side of Liberty Village, which we already knew, so no surprise there.

Property takes through the core are pretty minimal other than occupying about half of Moss Park to build Sherbourne Station.

We all know they are taking the area bounded by King, Parliament, Mill, and Berkeley for Corktown Station, so again, no surprise.

Metrolinx will apparently be using the school site in the West Don Lands for staging, which I wasn't aware of.

East of the Don River is where the property takes become more extensive:
  • Most of the BMW dealership lot is apparently required. What little is left will be needed for the Broadview extension.
  • These buildings along the south side of Eastern Avenue, as well as the large self storage building on the north side of Eastern Avenue, will need to go.
  • The biggest surprise to me, Metrolinx is proposing to take this entire industrial building and parking lot along Carlaw - presumably for staging as it isn't directly on the alignment. Also likely to be a nice "tranist oriented community" afterwards.
  • The No Frills plaza on Carlaw is unsurprisingly going to be demolished as well.
  • This entire row of semis are going to go as well to accommodate the tunnel portal to the north of the No Frills plaza along Pape - this is new to me.
  • Going up to Pape and Danforth - the entire block of storefronts between Pape and Eaton Avenue, other than the larger office block right at the corner of Pape and Danforth, will go. This will be a big loss for the Danforth.
  • These houses along Eaton Avenue are saying goodbye as well.
  • As are all these lots along the south side of Gertrude Place, and this one house on the north side of the street
  • Two entire blocks of storefronts will be gone to make way for Cosburn Station - here and here.
  • We knew this block of houses would go for the tunnel portal to cross the Don Valley based on some news articles
  • Same with basically all these commercial properties in Thorncliffe Park to make way for the maintenance yard
  • The eastern half of the south Science Centre parking lot is gone for the Flemingdon Park station
  • Finally - the Esso and western portion of the Superstore parking lot is gone for the Eglinton station.
The biggest losses appear to be the block around Pape Station to be honest - I'm surprise we haven't seen media attention about that one.

Overall Metrolinx has done a great job of finding cost effective ways of delivering the line, I have to say, including pulling stations off main streets to reduce traffic impacts and costs related to traffic staging, and even finding a way to have about a kilometre of the line run at grade through the industrial areas of Thorncliffe Park and at Exhibition Station (getting 10% of the line to run at grade without tunnelling or elevating it will make a huge impact on costs!). These moves have created unusually large property requirements but Metrolinx will recoup a lot of those costs after project completion when they can sell a lot of the now excess land back for redevelopment, and will cut construction costs substantially.

It's refreshing to see Toronto returning to it's old ways of more creative, higher impact, lower cost subway building methods which were used for the original Yonge and Bloor-Danforth lines.

Last edited:
As someone not originally from Toronto, it's always so bizarre to me that the Bloor-Danforth subway has so few entrances on Bloor or Danforth. I get why it was built the way it was, but It's strange so little effort has been made until now to connect it directly to the streets it's named for.
There is a secondary exit program going on both Line 1 and Line 2. From link.

Second Exit/Entrance Projects

The program was developed to enhance safety for customers and staff, providing an additional way out of subway stations in case of emergency, as many TTC stations currently have only one exit. Second exits also improve customer convenience.
Please see the TTC Board report from September 2015 about the Second exit planning process.
Planning second exits is a challenging and complicated task, taking many factors into account and balancing engineering, fire/life safety and community need.

Effective second exits must provide:
  • A fast way out of the station
  • Convenience to encourage day-to-day use and familiarity in an emergency
  • Respectful integration into the neighbourhood

Second exits projects must be:
  • Cost effective
  • Limit construction disruption
  • In the public interest (local area, TTC riders, taxpayer)

The new planning and consultation process is designed to:
  • Deepen understanding of the need for second exits by using public education and communications
  • Broaden engagement to encourage informed dialogue through learning

As for the Ontario Line, they should have secondary entrances and egresses from the start. Should also have up and down escalators, as well as elevators, also from the start. Waiting for Wi-Fi in the tunnels.

Last edited:
The biggest surprise to me, Metrolinx is proposing to take this entire industrial building and parking lot along Carlaw - presumably for staging as it isn't directly on the alignment. Also likely to be a nice "tranist oriented community" afterwards.
RIP to the best rock climbing gym near downtown 😕 Hopefully they can find a home somewhere else relatively central. It's one of the few good climbing gyms you can get to easily without a car.

looking at it in a bit more detail now - some of the property takes for it are a bit more extensive than I expected.

Exhibition takes a good number of warehouses along the south side of Liberty Village, which we already knew, so no surprise there.

Property takes through the core are pretty minimal other than occupying about half of Moss Park to build Sherbourne Station.

We all know they are taking the area bounded by King, Parliament, Mill, and Berkeley for Corktown Station, so again, no surprise.

Metrolinx will apparently be using the school site in the West Don Lands for staging, which I wasn't aware of.

East of the Don River is where the property takes become more extensive:
  • Most of the BMW dealership lot is apparently required. What little is left will be needed for the Broadview extension.
  • These buildings along the south side of Eastern Avenue, as well as the large self storage building on the north side of Eastern Avenue, will need to go.
  • The biggest surprise to me, Metrolinx is proposing to take this entire industrial building and parking lot along Carlaw - presumably for staging as it isn't directly on the alignment. Also likely to be a nice "tranist oriented community" afterwards.
  • The No Frills plaza on Carlaw is unsurprisingly going to be demolished as well.
  • This entire row of semis are going to go as well to accommodate the tunnel portal to the north of the No Frills plaza along Pape - this is new to me.
  • Going up to Pape and Danforth - the entire block of storefronts between Pape and Eaton Avenue, other than the larger office block right at the corner of Pape and Danforth, will go. This will be a big loss for the Danforth.
  • These houses along Eaton Avenue are saying goodbye as well.
  • As are all these lots along the south side of Gertrude Place, and this one house on the north side of the street
  • Two entire blocks of storefronts will be gone to make way for Cosburn Station - here and here.
  • We knew this block of houses would go for the tunnel portal to cross the Don Valley based on some news articles
  • Same with basically all these commercial properties in Thorncliffe Park to make way for the maintenance yard
  • The eastern half of the south Science Centre parking lot is gone for the Flemingdon Park station
  • Finally - the Esso and western portion of the Superstore parking lot is gone for the Eglinton station.
The biggest losses appear to be the block around Pape Station to be honest - I'm surprise we haven't seen media attention about that one.

Overall Metrolinx has done a great job of finding cost effective ways of delivering the line, I have to say, including pulling stations off main streets to reduce traffic impacts and costs related to traffic staging, and even finding a way to have about a kilometre of the line run at grade through the industrial areas of Thorncliffe Park and at Exhibition Station (getting 10% of the line to run at grade without tunnelling or elevating it will make a huge impact on costs!). These moves have created unusually large property requirements but Metrolinx will recoup a lot of those costs after project completion when they can sell a lot of the now excess land back for redevelopment, and will cut construction costs substantially.

It's refreshing to see Toronto returning to it's old ways of more creative, higher impact, lower cost subway building methods which were used for the original Yonge and Bloor-Danforth lines.
Regarding the industrial building on Carlaw that has been quietly picked up by Metrolinx, this 388 Carlaw address contains up to 120 businesses that will all be out on the street. Metrolinx refuses to share its intentions for the property. They previously took over a portion of the parking lot about 2 years ago. For some unknown reason, they now want the rest of this large property. One can assume that it will go to developers sometime in the future. Other than their extremely callous methodology, is this the best use of taxpayers’ money?

One can assume that it will go to developers sometime in the future. Other than their extremely callous methodology, is this the best use of taxpayers’ money?
If Metrolinx can't at least break even flipping property after holding it for a few years, and increasing local property values ... then there's a big problem.

Hmm ... though there is a big problem ...

There is a secondary exit program going on both Line 1 and Line 2. From link.

Second Exit/Entrance Projects

As for the Ontario Line, they should have secondary entrances and egresses from the start. Should also have up and down escalators, as well as elevators, also from the start. Waiting for Wi-Fi in the tunnels.
Except at Moss Park station, which is only getting one exit somehow.

Back