Toronto Ontario Line: Thorncliffe Park Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | HDR

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Database file coming soon, but in the meantime, here are the first renderings:

13_Future Ontario Line station on the north side of Overlea Blvd at Thorncliffe Park Drive (1).jpg
13_Future Ontario Line station on the north side of Overlea Blvd at Thorncliffe Park Drive (2).jpg
13_Future Ontario Line station on the north side of Overlea Blvd at Thorncliffe Park Drive.jpg

Here's the neighbourhood context map, including details of the Maintenance and Storage Facility to be built just to the north:

olta_north_segment_maps_mx_engage_thorncliffe_park_20220201_final.png

I do wonder with the big wide spaces between the pillars, whether there'd be the opportunity to place retail underneath, especially some of those that are being displaced by the MSF.

And before you say, no one will locate underneath, I will point out several examples of shops, gyms, restaurants, even a massive nightclub, underneath the railway arches and station in London and elsewhere in the UK.

I do wonder with the big wide spaces between the pillars, whether there'd be the opportunity to place retail underneath, especially some of those that are being displaced by the MSF.

And before you say, no one will locate underneath, I will point out several examples of shops, gyms, restaurants, even a massive nightclub, underneath the railway arches and station in London and elsewhere in the UK.
Maybe the preference is to keep it open for future maintenance.

Another example could be in the Yurakucho district of Tokyo, in between Tokyo Station and Ginza. There's a whole area of shops, bars, izakayas and restaurants built underneath the brick supports of the elevated train tracks.

So...will they be utilizing the existing bridges at Overlea Bld and Millwood Rd respectively to traverse that ravine? Or build entirely new bridges to do the same?

My assumptions suggests they will. The map line route suggests they may not.

So...will they be utilizing the existing bridges at Overlea Bld and Millwood Rd respectively to traverse that ravine? Or build entirely new bridges to do the same?

My assumptions suggests they will. The map line route suggests they may not.

No they will be building a new bridge.

It doesn't look like it from the link, but I'd hope they'd at least consider if they're putting the money in to building a new bridge they can at least have a small part of it be a pedestrian deck. Pedestrian infrastructure costs peanuts compared to other modes and there can always be more crossings of a large geographical barrier such as the valley.

It doesn't look like it from the link, but I'd hope they'd at least consider if they're putting the money in to building a new bridge they can at least have a small part of it be a pedestrian deck. Pedestrian infrastructure costs peanuts compared to other modes and there can always be more crossings of a large geographical barrier such as the valley.

North - Don Valley Crossing

This underground section will emerge from the southern embankment of the Don Valley at Minton Place, west of the Leaside Bridge, on an elevated structure that will connect it to Thorncliffe Park.

I assume then it's the same for the one from Flemingdon Par...

...oh wait, I think you just answer that above!

The station looks impressively metropolitan, but it could use some additional architectural features to give it more character. The same could be said about many of the Ontario Line stations. Unless there's a good chance the entrances are going to be redeveloped soon, they should have interesting design features inside and out.

Also, the interiors of the stations should have interesting design features and finishes down to the platform levels (unlike some of the TYSSE stations with generic concrete walls at platform level), with art integrated with the designs. Rapid tansit stations are good opportunities to give local architects some freedom to be contemporary and interesting, even with a reasonable budget.

Back