Toronto Ontario Line: Queen-Spadina Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | HDR

As @W. K. Lis pointed out, the TTC logo lends itself well to display the mode of transportation. Now I know a million people have redesigned the TTC logo before, I only took 15 minutes to mock this up, and I made it without thinking about the context of transit outside Toronto (aka Metrolinx).

But if we really wanted to better discern the mode of transportation while keeping some aspect of the TTC logo we could simplify by removing the TTC type and one of the shields.

View attachment 389389

The first three are stunning honestly. 2020s art deco perfection

As @W. K. Lis pointed out, the TTC logo lends itself well to display the mode of transportation. Now I know a million people have redesigned the TTC logo before, I only took 15 minutes to mock this up, and I made it without thinking about the context of transit outside Toronto (aka Metrolinx).

But if we really wanted to better discern the mode of transportation while keeping some aspect of the TTC logo we could simplify by removing the TTC type and one of the shields.

View attachment 389389

You forgot the vintage Metrolinx gray.
Go.png

I'm not really sure how sold they are on the T logo. They have only used it at go bus stops and on the crosstown line, they have opened up there new projects since it was decided on and yet they didn't use it in any of them. For example they were asked why the signage in the bus terminal at Kipling didn't use any of the new wayfinding and they responded with "it would be charged at a later date" it shows that they don't really have any plans at all with regards to it. The T logo is meaningless and tells you nothing at all, nobody knows that it's supposed to mean anything unless they either work for metorolix or have read their stupid wayfinding study.
Because some projects have being going a really long time, and changes are expensive!

Because some projects have being going a really long time, and changes are expensive!
How is changing signs to put a stupid T symbol that they paid a "wayfinding expert" to tell them that they needed to have it? They wasted taxpayers' money on that why couldn't they waste more taxpayers' money changing the signs. Metrolinx has no clue what they are doing don't need a meaningless symbol on every transit stop or station in the GTHA so that people know that it's a public transit stop, it's ridiculous. We don't need their stupid T sysmbao, everywhere so we know it's public transit.

I think we're definitely off topic at this point.

I saw someone on twitter criticising the entrance buildings here - something like "why can't they just be staircases on the sidewalk". Tbh, the double height entrance pavilion makes transit visible and provides a sense of place - esp. if there's decent architecture and potentially some public art! It would be sad if you thought it was an office lobby instead!

Having clear common signage is a part of that - making it clear that yes, this is a subway station! (this is something that Toronto has been bad at in the past - e.g. the lack of signs on the Danforth pointing to the Subway stations in the side streets, and until recently - the dire public wayfinding on the streets)

But for 68 years people have found their way down those sidewalk staircases...
Now they are adding elevators to make them accessible, and NOT on the sidewalks.

TTC Easier Access Project - Station Completion Schedule​

Schedule for all stations to be completed by 2025, as required by Provincial AODA Legislation, based on full funding.​

Stations
Complete in
Lansdowne​
2022​
Donlands​
2022​
Spadina​
2024​
College​
2023​
Lawrence​
2024​
Greenwood​
2023​
Christie​
2023​
Castle Frank​
2023​
Summerhill​
2023​
High Park​
2024​
King​
2024​
Museum​
2024​
Rosedale​
2024​
Old Mill​
2024​
Glencairn​
2024​
Warden​
2024​
Islington​
2024​
All schedules are subject to change.​
.​

All the stations for the Ontario Line need to be accessible. That means not just stairs, but escalators in BOTH directions, and elevators (plural). Haven't seen designs for the station platforms, but I'm assuming they will be centre platforms to keep the cost of duplicating the escalators and elevators needed down. Also why no sidewalk entrances, but in adjacent buildings.

I don't think that there is space on the SW corner for a sidewalk entrance. The sidewalk is pretty narrow and cluttered here.

View attachment 390321

I also thought building entrances were preferred as it keeps the sidewalks accessible for pedestrians; there are many chokepoints on Yonge because of TTC staircases. I prefer building entrances—like the new St Patrick station at 488 University—more room for elevators, makes the stop more visible and modern, and personally reminds me of Hong Kong MTR stations.

Ontario Line won't have to negotiate with building owners to get stations built since they've expropriated a lot of the buildings. I believe this was an issue at either 1 King West or Massey Tower where the building didn't want the 'rift-raft public' to co-mingle with their high-end residents.

Back