Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

What kind of a self respecting country pledges symbolic allegiance to a long-dead empire and a magic old guy in a castle in ANOTHER country?

One that, when compared to most other countries in the world, enjoys a stable democracy, transparent government, broad civil liberties, tolerance of diversity and multiculturalism, high standards of economic freedom, quality of education and health care, and enviable standards of living. One that over 100,000 people sacrificed their lives for in two world wars. One that people from around the world are still lining up to emigrate to by the millions.

Maybe not by coincidence, it's also a country (and province) that inherited a judicial system, rule of common law, parliamentary democracy, business practices, and most widely spoken language - from Britain and the British Empire. Should we be ashamed of all these things as well?

Even if the so-called Royal Family is a ridiculous anachronism we should all pay way less attention to (it is, and we should), the crown is a useful legal fiction and symbol representing a thousand + years of state power - the exercise of which gradually devolved from a single all-powerful monarch (whether Celtic, Saxon, Danish Viking, Norman, Scottish, Dutch, German, or yes, English) to the broadest constituency. It's not only British history - it's the history that shaped our society as it exists. We shouldn't be ashamed of it.

One that, when compared to most other countries in the world, enjoys a stable democracy, transparent government, broad civil liberties, tolerance of diversity and multiculturalism, high standards of economic freedom, quality of education and health care, and enviable standards of living. One that over 100,000 people sacrificed their lives for in two world wars. One that people from around the world are still lining up to emigrate to by the millions.

Maybe not by coincidence, it's also a country (and province) that inherited a judicial system, rule of common law, parliamentary democracy, business practices, and most widely spoken language - from Britain and the British Empire. Should we be ashamed of all these things as well?

Even if the so-called Royal Family is a ridiculous anachronism we should all pay way less attention to (it is, and we should), the crown is a useful legal fiction and symbol representing a thousand + years of state power - the exercise of which gradually devolved from a single all-powerful monarch (whether Celtic, Saxon, Danish Viking, Norman, Scottish, Dutch, German, or yes, English) to the broadest constituency. It's not only British history - it's the history that shaped our society as it exists. We shouldn't be ashamed of it.

3 reasons the American Revolution was a mistake

See link.

Current state of Queen and University
1679238842199.png

Source

With Queen been close this year. I guess the parade will use Dundas to Bay and Bay to Queen or a route from Dundas for next few years

I guess we're just going to have to disagree. We can appreciate our country's history and the many advantages while also acknowledging that the Canada that exists today is separate, distinct and completely unlike Great Britain. Piggybacking off the culture and symbols of another country is just... a bit cringy to be honest. Way off topic though.

I was out yesterday, mostly to remove a geocache in the wooded area where the future trainshed will be, by the Costco in Thorncliffe Park. I was surprised to see all the trees already logged in the area. Without going into detail, I'll just say it was a sad affair hearing the chainsaws throughout the area, even if it makes sense to put the train shed here.
20230320_145501.jpg
20230320_145505.jpg
20230320_145701.jpg
20230320_145756.jpg
20230320_145704.jpg
20230320_145957.jpg
20230320_145913(0).jpg
20230320_150359.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that the renders of the trains included a designated bicycle area like streetcars, since bikes are banned on the subway in rush hour (but not streetcars). I guess it would just be an additional standing area during rush hour.

Why are the ontario line platforms so deep ? I think if I counted right it like 5 flights of stairs / escalators from the street.
I hope the connection to the line 1 platform won't be dumb

Why are the ontario line platforms so deep ? I think if I counted right it like 5 flights of stairs / escalators from the street.
I hope the connection to the line 1 platform won't be to bad
Has to be below the Line 1 and Line 2 stations. Also there is a lot of underground utilities in the downtown.

A tree-cutting story from UK! https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-65074972

Seems to be a new trend that cutting down trees is a positive move for urban regeneration.
Eco activists protesting against new projects because of how many trees they cut down has been a trend for a while. I bring this up because in the UK specifically, I remember there was this whole protest movement surrounding HS2, and activists being against it because, say it with me, it will cut down many trees (despite much of the project being greenfield).

I was browsing ToInView and saw this map overlay.
Metrolinx.png

The green area shaded is all described as:
Project Metrolinx Review Zone
Location Queen Street, Pape Avenue, Don Mills Road. Near: Dufferin Street
Details Metrolinx will review all applications within this zone and advise the City of potential conflicts with the transit project construction
Duration 2021 - 2030
Status Active

They certainly are getting into the weeds!!

Back