Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I wonder what the cost estimate would be for above grade extension to Roncesvalles, and ParkLawn?

Perhaps we could close up close down Chester, Christie, Museum and other dead stations and use that budget for areas that actually have riders????
I would be really interested in seeing the methodology that led you to this conclusion. Just what kinds of cost savings do you think shutting these stations down would generate? The biggest cost has already been incurred! Cutting back on the costs of energy and occasional cleaning to these stations will not net you a new rapid transit line.

Museum may not be the busiest station, but given its extreme proximity to the Royal Ontario Museum there's no way anyone will go for shutting it down. And if you want to go after Museum, which had a daily ridership of 11k in 2018, you'll have to shut down most of the Danforth line while you're at it, as many of those stations post similar numbers.

I'm a reflexive Liberal supporter, but he's the worst. Everything he says either has some direct partisan angle, or is aimed at protecting property values for SFH owners in the Annex and Little Italy (or similar). He constantly claims to care about housing, but wants most of near-downtown Toronto to be exactly as it was 20 years ago (but a lot more expensive!).

I'm a reflexive Liberal supporter, but he's the worst. Everything he says either has some direct partisan angle, or is aimed at protecting property values for SFH owners in the Annex and Little Italy (or similar). He constantly claims to care about housing, but wants most of near-downtown Toronto to be exactly as it was 20 years ago (but a lot more expensive!).
I remember when the OL was announced and he very vocally insisted it would only have 7 stations, fully stating it as if it was a matter of fact, because those 7 were the transfer stations on the Metrolinx map, and he couldn't be bothered to even read the press release (with the actual number of stations) before tweeting. And then was arguing with people when they pointed out he was wrong.

Is it? It's supposed to be 8 years - though we haven't heard the post financial closure estimate yet.

Eglinton was always planned (visioned?) to take longer, with the way the contracts were split up, and the tunneling being done in advance of the design and award of the stations and other infrastructure.

Ontario line could be 2 years late, and still be done in 10 years.

On the other hand, 4 years ago, we were promised it would be delivered in 2027.
But you must remember that the Eglinton line is going through Yonge & Eglinton station, Eglinton west station and Kennedy. Those are are all major transfer stations that were very underestimated on how complex they would be and built last. Hence why we're in this delayed disaster right now.

But you must remember that the Eglinton line is going through Yonge & Eglinton station, Eglinton west station and Kennedy. Those are are all major transfer stations that were very underestimated on how complex they would be and built last. Hence why we're in this delayed disaster right now.
You don't think that Queen, Osgoode, Pape, etc. are going to be just as complex, if not more so?

Sheppard or till Finch (Seneca College) potentially?
I don’t know - I’m not in the space.

I’m taking a guess based on Ford’s own focus (this was one of the lines that showed up when he was touting priority transit projects for Toronto); he can be remarkably consistent in the long-run in terms of things he cares about.

My recollection is that @Northern Light said that there was some investigation going on right now. Given that no funding for planning exists, my uninformed guess is at this stage whoever is involved is figuring out the options, whether any showstoppers exist, and what the rough funding envelopes are.

That all being said, I’m not optimistic for major funding of transit projects: the macro climate has shifted to cost containment.

Perhaps we could close up close down Chester, Christie, Museum and other dead stations and use that budget for areas that actually have riders????
The Million-ish dollars a year that would be saved would barely buy the excavator needed to dig the hole.

Plus, they would have some level of maintenance done to them on a regular bases, as they would need to be retained as emergency exits.

Dan

I don’t know - I’m not in the space.

I’m taking a guess based on Ford’s own focus (this was one of the lines that showed up when he was touting priority transit projects for Toronto); he can be remarkably consistent in the long-run in terms of things he cares about.

My recollection is that @Northern Light said that there was some investigation going on right now. Given that no funding for planning exists, my uninformed guess is at this stage whoever is involved is figuring out the options, whether any showstoppers exist, and what the rough funding envelopes are.

That all being said, I’m not optimistic for major funding of transit projects: the macro climate has shifted to cost containment.

In the MTSA report from earlier this year, you have a sense of where the province's timing is; or is not.

1669126555200.png

"The Province has advised that they have begun exploratory
work on the extension of the Line 4 Sheppard Subway (Don Mills to McCowan),
which will replace the Sheppard East LRT."

You don't think that Queen, Osgoode, Pape, etc. are going to be just as complex, if not more so?
IIRC the difference, at least with Queen and Osgoode, is the OL tunnel will be built into the bedrock at those stations, so they won't have to underpin the existing subway tunnel the way they did with Eglinton and Eg West. That's why in the diagram for Queen station, the OL station is largely built to either side of the existing station. Not to say these stations won't be complex or could slow down the project, but they aren't being built in the same way that slowed down the Eglinton transfer stations, thankfully.

Interesting list as those stations aren't the least used in the network by a good margin. Excluding RT stations, as they are disappearing anyway, the stations at Chester, Museum and Christie come in at 5th, 15th & 17th least used respectively.

Source: https://transittoronto.ca/archives/reports/ttc-subway-ridership-2018.pdf

Interesting list as those stations aren't the least used in the network by a good margin. Excluding RT stations, as they are disappearing anyway, the stations at Chester, Museum and Christie come in at 5th, 15th & 17th least used respectively.

Source: https://transittoronto.ca/archives/reports/ttc-subway-ridership-2018.pdf

Museum is also current getting its second exit and elevators.

Said addition, along w/a new U of T building immediately adjacent to the station will surely bump up its absolute numbers; though given growth elsewhere in the City I'm not so sure about bumping its relative spot on that list.

Chester will see additional intensification nearby, probably 3-6 midrises that would see walk-up traffic head that way as opposed to Pape or Broadview.

Christie is currently getting elevators, it too will see intensification, though perhaps less so than elsewhere, given potential shadowing on Christie Pits Park.

Three of the ones below Chester are going to be getting pretty significant intensification, so I'd expect Chester to drop down to the bottom of the list eventually. Even Bessarion will eventually pass it.

Back