Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

indeed, but at the time of cancellation Metrolinx had released little information beyond a series of potential corridors north of the Danforth. It didn't have funding behind it and wasn't anywhere close to having money for it, either. At the time it was thought of "well, we'll look at it more once the first phase is done".

That's really foot dragging on Mlinx's/province's part for their portion of the project, not that of the city - and neither RL-S or RL-N received any true funding commitment for construction in any case. I have a gut feeling OL wasn't something just got cooked up post-Ford by Mlinx.

AoD

So what exactly have the PC's delivered so far?
When the Liberals left power, we had some digging underway on the Crosstown Line 5, and some serious hope that Finch West Line 6 would start soon.

There's now 6 province-led rapid transit lines under construction, 2 more about to begin construction (the Line 1 extension on Yonge, and the Hamilton LRT), and now 2 more that should be under construction by the next election (Line 4 extension to McCowan and the Line 5 extension from Renforth to Pearson). As part of the deal with Toronto we have also got Toronto (far too slowly), taking the lead on 3 other huge projects; the Bloor-Yonge station rebuild has started advanced work, the Waterfront West streetcar extension (where they are going to have to drop near a $billion to rebuild Union and Queens Quay stations) and Waterfront Toronto has started advanced work, and the Eglinton East (formerly the Scarborough Malvern) LRT. Perhaps that's 4, as the latter includes work on Sheppard that was originally going to be part of the Sheppard East LRT.

And we have serious money for the five GO RER projects (which weren't fully funded under the Liberals), and commitment by the feds about a sixth RER project (Milton line).

That's 15 major RT/RER projects. 18 including the city projects. Variants of all were certainly promised at some point by the Liberals ... but delivery dates had slipped well over a decade, despite being continuously in power.

...neither the OL nor RL make much of a difference for people who live here.
It will make a huge difference - at least for those near downtown. Crossing from the east side to Exhibition, or getting from downtown to either is a pain currently, and is going to be MUCH quicker. And for the huge community up in Thorncliffe Park and Flemingdon Park, it's a game changer. And the planned OL extension to Pearson will finally give some serious region-wide rapid-transit options that isn't downtown focused - inadvertently perhaps resurrecting the PCs 1970s and early 1980s ALRT proposals for the northern section.

Last edited:
And the planned OL extension to Pearson will finally give some serious region-wide rapid-transit options that isn't downtown focused - inadvertently perhaps resurrecting the PCs 1970s and early 1980s ALRT proposals for the northern section.
There’s a planned OL extension to Pearson? As in, announced and funded? When did this happen?

My prediction is closer to the next election Ford will come out with a new plan which he will present that will include OL North Extension.
I doubt this is in the cards, as much as I’d like to see an OL extension. Most likely is a Sheppard extension with funding and/or Eg W extension to Pearson with funding.

I do think a Finch W extension towards the airport would be worth it, but I’m not holding my breath.

The OL should be extended from Ontario Place to Parklawn and Lakeshore.
Why? We already have a rail line that runs in between those two points already. Granted, the Park Lawn station does not yet exist, but it will surely be much cheaper to do that and extend the OL somewhere that is not served by rapid transit.

Why? We already have a rail line that runs in between those two points already. Granted, the Park Lawn station does not yet exist, but it will surely be much cheaper to do that and extend the OL somewhere that is not served by rapid transit.
With GO Train headways on the Lakeshore West to be close to every 15 minutes. That's close to some US subway/metro headway service, where they consider 10-20 minutes "frequent". See link.

Parklawn and lakeshore will become one of the most densily populated areas in GTA, outside of the core of Toronto. Its logical progression for the OL to extend itself out to Parklawn. Humber Bay is is already plagued with poor transit as is, with excess of over 40 towers already and another 18 in the plans....this area needs it. Very short sighted by the province to not consider it.

Parklawn and lakeshore will become one of the most densily populated areas in GTA, outside of the core of Toronto. Its logical progression for the OL to extend itself out to Parklawn. Humber Bay is is already plagued with poor transit as is, with excess of over 40 towers already and another 18 in the plans....this area needs it. Very short sighted by the province to not consider it.
Province, yes. There were city plans for a Waterfront WEST LRT until Rob Ford and his clique showed up...
993c-Waterfront_transit_TTC-_briefing_v11-01.png

HBS is getting frequent GO service soonish. No need to duplicate service with an OL extension.

The OL should be extended from Ontario Place to Parklawn and Lakeshore.
That should be Exhibition to Parklawn as Ontario Place is 1/2 mile south of the Exhibition Station at 90 degrees.

No it should not be extended to Parklawn as there are more places that needs it more starting with Jane St

There’s a planned OL extension to Pearson? As in, announced and funded? When did this happen?
It is just crayoning by the PC government at this point. Nothing serious has been shared publicly. I think they are contemplating up to Markham/Richmond Hill and west across the 407 to Pearson. I think they called this Ontario Line Loop or something.

Just a slight correction, Humber Bay will become the densest neighborhood in Canada once the Mondelez lands are developed. Even denser than St.James Town. At the moment I believe it's #2 in Canada.

We're not going to see the Ontario Line extended westwards for decades so dont put to much of your breath into deciding where it should go.

Back