Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Dan literally said a few posts ago that it wasn't covered due to noise...

Dan's talking about the skylights. But the tracks are enveloped in a concrete tube for noise reduction. Beautiful bridge spoiled.

If anyone's interested I saved some screenshots of the early SRT extension plans and they show various options. "Elevated covered" is def the worst. And I guess not fully relevant to Leslieville since what's there is an existing elevated embankment, one that's already seeing plans for noise walls and hardscaping as part of RER.

ScarbLRT-SRT-build-options.png

Dan's talking about the skylights. But the tracks are enveloped in a concrete tube for noise reduction. Beautiful bridge spoiled.

If anyone's interested I saved some screenshots of the early SRT extension plans and they show various options. "Elevated covered" is def the worst. And I guess not fully relevant to Leslieville since what's there is an existing elevated embankment, one that's already seeing plans for noise walls and hardscaping as part of RER.

View attachment 376932
Elevated Covered actually makes some sense in the context of SRT technology. LIM technology as we all know very well is fairly unreliable in the winter - especially in the snow, so doing a covered elevated line as a way to cut costs but still keep reliability up is definitely a decent option. Its not like this is that uncommon practice either. When Moscow Extended the Sokolnicheskaya Line (Red Line) a few years ago, they decided to run it above ground (usually they exclusively build subways underground), they covered it for the same reason - and remember this is Moscow, their winters are significantly worse than ours:

1643255278606.png

1643255323019.png

That being said, winter resistance is the ONLY context in which covering tracks make sense, and in the case of Moscow, we can see that the sides are open, so there is basically no sound resistance.

The problem with GTA transit is the lack of cleaning. No one budgets to keep the system looking good. Any skylight or translucent material would end up looking like crap after a year or two.

I had no idea this was temporary. Any idea when it's supposed to be taken down/replacement built?
They contracted the final design in October. Bit of a rush because they are approaching the 10-year lifespan of the temporary bridge. Construction to begin in 2024. It's for both the bridge over the GO tracks and the bridge over the Gardiner. Looks like it includes grading both sides, and TTC tracks (or at least an allowance for them) over the bridges.

Looks like it's been a litany of Metrolinx-caused delays. After the installation of the temporary bridge over the tracks in 2014 (the original bridge was over 100 years by then, and in very poor shape), it took Metrolinx until 2019 to conclude that the existing elevation was okay for their electrification plans. In the interim they both promised, and then reneged, to include those bridges (plus 2 more further west) as part of their Lakeshore West works.

Here's the link to the City Council contract award, which links to the supporting documents: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.IE24.5

They contracted the final design in October. Bit of a rush because they are approaching the 10-year lifespan of the temporary bridge. Construction to begin in 2024. It's for both the bridge over the GO tracks and the bridge over the Gardiner. Looks like it includes grading both sides, and TTC tracks (or at least an allowance for them) over the bridges.

Looks like it's been a litany of Metrolinx-caused delays. After the installation of the temporary bridge over the tracks in 2014 (the original bridge was over 100 years by then, and in very poor shape), it took Metrolinx until 2019 to conclude that the existing elevation was okay for their electrification plans. In the interim they both promised, and then reneged, to include those bridges (plus 2 more further west) as part of their Lakeshore West works.

Here's the link to the City Council contract award, which links to the supporting documents: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.IE24.5

Thanks for sharing!!

A little over a month from the first TFC home match...any idea where they are in the early works? Has the current north side tunnel entrance been closed? Has the new, narrower, one opened? The bridge scheduled for installation?

The subway bridge over the Rosedale ravine used have open holes on top.

87c4-s0648_fl0229_id0009_crop.jpg
From link.

But due to noise complaints, they covered the holes. Unfortunately, they did not use translucent material.

RosedaleSubwayBridge6.jpg
From link.

Imagine if the riders actually had views over this stretch?
That's one of the benefits of elevated lines - you can stare out the window.

I agree with you, but it is unfair that the Rosedale folks got Line 2 covered in their neighborhood while the rest of Toronto suffers wherever the subways are exposed.

Rail Deck parks everywhere would also be awesome :p
When snow was able to shutdown the SRT and above ground portions of the Yonge-Spadina lines, I don’t understand why any of the Ontario line is exposed.

When snow was able to shutdown the SRT and above ground portions of the Yonge-Spadina lines, I don’t understand why any of the Ontario line is exposed.
1. With overhead catenary, the power supply will not be in contact with snow on the ground.

I never understood why there isn't a station between the exhibition and King/Bathurst also a Distillery district station in between Corktown and east Harbor would have been great too.

I never understood why there isn't a station between the exhibition and King/Bathurst also a Distillery district station in between Corktown and east Harbor would have been great too.
what station? at strachan? at tecumseh?distiller has a station. its litterally a 2 minute walk? lol

Back