Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Would anyone like to say something about extending the line further north (and I know there are some who are eager to here)
Maximum relief to the Yonge Line can be achieved by sending the Relief Line north of Sheppard to the 407. My personal favored route is to take the GO-corridor above ground to meet with the Yonge North Extension at Langstaff, so York Region commuters transfer onto the Relief Line instead of Yonge.

Reactions: rbt
Here is the information on the Capital Costs and the Lifecycle Costs

RL_CapitalCosts_BCA.png

RL_LifestyleCosts_BCA.png

Key Information:
- Assuming 3 minute frequency at peak, 4.5 minute off peak
- 4 Car Trains
- Twin bored tunnels, each being 5.85m in diameter

Attachments

• RL_LifestyleCosts_BCA.png
    RL_LifestyleCosts_BCA.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 515
  • RL_CapitalCosts_BCA.png
    RL_CapitalCosts_BCA.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 500
Reactions: rbt
Yeah I've noticed the 4 car trains - the question is - are the trains of the same length as the current rocket? and the stations sized to the current 6 cars+change length?

AoD

Length of storage tracks indicate support for either 6 or 8 car trains (depending on how exactly they measured the length of the storage tracks).

The YRNS assumed 8-car sets.

Length of storage tracks indicate support for either 6 or 8 car trains (depending on how exactly they measured the length of the storage tracks).

The YRNS assumed 8-car sets.

I think that 4 cars trains is temporary if only the section between Pape and downtown is built.

For a longer line 6 cars is the bare minimum, 8 cars is better.

I think that 4 cars trains is temporary if only the section between Pape and downtown is built.
For a longer line 6 cars is the bare minimum, 8 cars is better.

Well, the length of the initial trainset is one thing - the length of the station platform is another, and I am not sure if it is all that great if the latter is sized for 4 cars. The station fit display boards indicate a length of 152m (which is more than 6 x 23m)

AoD

What are the "Option 1" and "Option 2" (I thought it was decided B1EQ was the alignment)? And I guess where's the report for that matter?

Definitely believe this line should be built from Dundas West or Keele in the west, then up to Finch or Steeles @ Don Mills in the east. All in one go. As it should've been done decades ago. Anything less is doing this great city a disservice.

What are the "Option 1" and "Option 2" (I thought it was decided B1EQ was the alignment)? And I guess where's the report for that matter?

Definitely believe this line should be built from Dundas West or Keele in the west, then up to Finch or Steeles @ Don Mills in the east. All in one go. As it should've been done decades ago. Anything less is doing this great city a disservice.

Pape-Queen and Pape-Eastern-Queen (Unilever).

AoD

They're presumably future proofing. That's smart given the very high peak point ridership of this line. It's not inconceivable that in 50 years this line will be at capacity, just like Yonge was.
Or how the University Line will be within a decade or two, after initially being closed on weekends when first opened.

Starting off with 4 train cars is fine. But building the stations to that capacity would be incredibly foolish. Going back and changing an existing station is not a small endeavour, especially once they are in use.

This is not a line they should be cutting corners on.

Starting off with 4 train cars is fine. But building the stations to that capacity would be incredibly foolish. Going back and changing an existing station is not a small endeavour, especially once they are in use.

This is not a line they should be cutting corners on.
I think they understand that, that is why we are getting the Pape-Eastern-Queen alignment.

Also notable is that the extension to Sheppard (phase 2) likely won't be enough to bring the Yonge Line below capacity.

Would anyone like to say something about extending the line further north (and I know there are some who are eager to here)

Hmm.

Perhaps you mean something like...looking around, there is a parallel ribbon of highway called 404 and it's clearly impossible to imagine a subway to Richmond Hill diverting any number of those commuters or possibly commuters headed south from Finch on Line 1 who all must live directly north of Finch and Yong or Steeles and Yonge. God knows none of them come from RH or Markham to the east where a relief Line could extend.

Last edited:

Back