Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Is Montreals pink line to be built like Eglinton... or is it full underground ? Trying to figure out how it will only cost 6 billion to build with 18 or 29 stations (I cant find if the estimate is phase 1 or phase 1+2)

Is Montreals pink line to be built like Eglinton... or is it full underground ? Trying to figure out how it will only cost 6 billion to build with 18 or 29 stations (I cant find if the estimate is phase 1 or phase 1+2)

The first two-thirds of the line is underground. The rest of in the surface. The $6 Billion price is still ridiculous though.

21km underground, 8km "overland". The "overland" section is near downtown so I assume that means elevated. The cost estimate is optimistic.

Can we even have that? A mayoral candidate that comes in and just decides "I am going to build the Relief Line from Don Mills to Bathurst, vote for me!", then gets eelcted?

It is a disruption to the planning process, even if it is a pleasant one.

Wasn’t that what David Miller did? And what Rob Ford and Tory did as well? The problem isn’t candidates “deciding” to build transit, its that their plans are totally preposterous

The first two-thirds of the line is underground. The rest of in the surface. The $6 Billion price is still ridiculous though.

21km underground, 8km "overland". The "overland" section is near downtown so I assume that means elevated. The cost estimate is optimistic.

It must be light rail for the cost then? But even then that seems to cheap... For comparison - Vancouver's broadway subway its 5km underground + 800m elevated, 6 stations for about 2.2 billion using skytrain. Calgary's Green line phase 1 is 4.65 billion, here are the specs from the city's website:

Stage 1 construction
  • 20 km
  • 14 stations
  • 8 bridges (Elbow River, Blackfoot Trail, Highfield Blvd, 46 Avenue SE, Deerfoot Trail, Bow River, 78 Avenue SE and 90 Avenue SE)
  • 1 km of elevated track between Inglewood/Ramsay to 26 Avenue stations
  • 4 km Centre City tunnel from 20 Avenue N to Macleod Trail
  • 1 light rail vehicle (LRV) Maintenance and Storage Facility north of 126 Avenue SE (Shepard)
  • Approximately 70 low floor vehicles
  • $4.65 billion capital construction cost
Should note of the 4.65 billion - 1.95 billion is for the tunnel that will include 5 stations and go under the Bow river. All renderings have showed Low Floor Flexities. And then we have Toronto's relief line that will be heavy rail and deeper, with more difficult soil conditions coming in at its cost estimate. Just cant see how Montreal can build a line that cheap with that much underground.

If an “unknown” can win Montréal’s election, beating a strong incumbent, maybe one of you can too. Quick, one of you run for mayor!

I don't necessarily even know what John Tory has accomplished one way or the other on most all issues. Free TTC rides for minors yes, but what else?

His level of wishy-washyness makes an easy argument to have him replaced. If he's allegedly this chummy with the Provincial and Federal governments and things like the DRL and SSE are still in the planning stages, much less his dream Smarttrack line, then I fear giving him a second mandate is only just more time being wasted twiddling our thumbs.

Can we even have that? A mayoral candidate that comes in and just decides "I am going to build the Relief Line from Don Mills to Bathurst, vote for me!", then gets eelcted?

It is a disruption to the planning process, even if it is a pleasant one.

We had that type of candidate in 2014, remember? People truly get the government that they deserve.

It's definitely an underground subway line. No way to diagonally cut a surface line through that many neighbourhoods. The NIMBYism and moral outrage would be impalpiable.

Sad though that this new line if approved would expand west into Lachine before the existing Green or Blue Lines.

If an “unknown” can win Montréal’s election, beating a strong incumbent, maybe one of you can too. Quick, one of you run for mayor!
I don't necessarily even know what John Tory has accomplished one way or the other on most all issues. Free TTC rides for minors yes, but what else?

His level of wishy-washyness makes an easy argument to have him replaced. If he's allegedlyJo this chummy with the Provincial and Federal governments and things like the DRL and SSE are still in the planning stages, much less his dream Smarttrack line, then I fear giving him a second mandate is only just more time being wasted twiddling our thumbs.

John Tory is the ultimate manager of the status-quo. That would be okay, if Toronto weren't a rapidly growing city that's struggling to run on its existing services and infrastructure. It's time for him to be replaced with someone with greater vision.

It must be light rail for the cost then? But even then that seems to cheap... For comparison - Vancouver's broadway subway its 5km underground + 800m elevated, 6 stations for about 2.2 billion using skytrain. Calgary's Green line phase 1 is 4.65 billion, here are the specs from the city's website:

It's definitely an underground subway line. No way to diagonally cut a surface line through that many neighbourhoods. The NIMBYism and moral outrage would be impalpiable.

Sad though that this new line if approved would expand west into Lachine before the existing Green or Blue Lines.

Montrealer here.

The proposed pink line would use automated light metro technology like the REM and the Canada Line.

Phase 1 between Montreal-Nord and downtown would be completely underground and would be inspired by Barcelona's L9, which was built using a single 12m diameter TBM.

Phase 2 between downtown and Lachine would be mostly at grade, using the Canadian Pacific ROW, which would mean lower costs than expanding the green or blue line.

Back