Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Honestly, if you know nothing about what's going on, sit down.
Then feel free to explain it. I get it, people can be emotionally attached to historical structures, but as long as things can be put back in place once construction is done, there is literally no harm. That historic building on the north-west corner Eglinton/Mt Pleasant was demolished for the Eglinton Crosstown was demolished to make way for a new entrance to the station, sucks, but they're going to put it back together as if nothing ever happened to it, and they'll integrate the station into the building.

The story above got me to looking for photos online, this one was the best I found, if not particularly revelatory:

1675547485333.png

From Josh Matlow's Twitter:

Is there an arborist's report (or some other official study) that confirms all of the trees to be cut down are 200+ years old?

I don't ask to cause trouble but I've never seen anyone mention a report, just the media repeating that some people say the trees are that old.

Is there an arborist's report (or some other official study) that confirms all of the trees to be cut down are 200+ years old?

I don't ask to cause trouble but I've never seen anyone mention a report, just the media repeating that some people say the trees are that old.

The tree rings in the truck are the exact identifier of age.

While you can take a core sample from a living tree, potentially, its not very nice to the tree and does pose a risk of killing it. It would, otherwise, be a guess, based on a species typical rate of growth and the size of the specimen.

Obviously you can gather other evidence ( A planting record, and photographs). I commented on a photo of the trees awhile back, I'll see if I can't dig that up.

Heres a report from the city on various options for construction. They almost all involve cutting down those trees because the station Entrance is not the only thing that has to be accomplished here. To construct the new station cavern, ML will need a mineshaft. And unless ML is going to be tearing down some of the nearby buildings there is no other open space for them to do this keyhole digging in. University park or not.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.31.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.31.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.32.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.32.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.33.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.33.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.33.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.34.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.34.48 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.35.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.35.57 PM.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 39
The tree rings in the truck are the exact identifier of age.

While you can take a core sample from a living tree, potentially, its not very nice to the tree and does pose a risk of killing it. It would, otherwise, be a guess, based on a species typical rate of growth and the size of the specimen.

Obviously you can gather other evidence ( A planting record, and photographs). I commented on a photo of the trees awhile back, I'll see if I can't dig that up.

Here ya go: @skto

I'm not an arborist, but consider it an informed opinion.

Heres a report from the city on various options for construction. They almost all involve cutting down those trees because the station Entrance is not the only thing that has to be accomplished here. To construct the new station cavern, ML will need a mineshaft. And unless ML is going to be tearing down some of the nearby buildings there is no other open space for them to do this keyhole digging in. University park or not.

View attachment 454176View attachment 454177

Your statement is contradicted by the evidence you posted.

Both options F and G have only shallow excavation next to Osgoode, and that excavation can be shifted to University Avenue, from the Osgoode Property.

The deep excavations in these two examples are not on that corner. Neither of the above options would impact any material number of mature trees, if any. Option F might impact one mature tree on the Campbell House grounds, based on my assessment of the crown size.

Those trees are
Your statement is contradicted by the evidence you posted.

Both options F and G have only shallow excavation next to Osgoode, and that excavation can be shifted to University Avenue, from the Osgoode Property.

The deep excavations in these two examples are not on that corner. Neither of the above options would impact any material number of mature trees, if any. Option F might impact one mature tree on the Campbell House grounds, based on my assessment of the crown size.
Constructability has only been considered as a fatal flaw if there is insufficient space to physically construct the station. In this analysis, the critical limitation of construction is considered to be the sufficiency of space needed to construct the station itself. Of the options presented, all appear to be constructable with the exception of Option F (Simcoe Site Only), which is an extremely limited site and would present very challenging construction conditions. Just in time delivery and a very high degree of coordination for the spoil removal and material delivery would be needed at all times to avoid significant construction delay

Complexity and duration can be analyzed based on the improved access and laydown areas. The options are listed below
in increasing complexity:
 Tier 1 – Good
 Location A – Osgoode Hall Site
 Location B – Campbell House Site
 Location C – University Avenue East Boulevard Site
 Location I – T.O. Core Site
 Location J – Osgoode Plaza
 Tier 2 – Reasonable
 Location E – Four Seasons Centre Site
 Location F – Bank of Canada Building Site
 Tier 3 - Challenging
 Location D – University Avenue Median Site
 Tier 4 – Very Challenging
 Location G – Simcoe Street Only Site
 Location H – Canada Life Building Site

G is very hard to build and F is also hard to build on.
So yes you can keep the trees. It just makes the project more vulnerable to delays and increases costs

Read the report and you'll find that its either option A or option B and there are many trees that'd have to be cut down in option B as well.
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.59.31 PM.png

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this seems to be the right opportunity to spend what's necessary to save these trees and replant them at the very least. The fact they're just being destroyed is unacceptable.

It's unbelievable the amount of money that's spent on other projects to satisfy relatively small groups, but when it comes to our history it's met with little more than a shoulder shrug. No surprise we keep destroying our own history.

Back