Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Long article here. Not sure there is really anything new for those here following the project closely. It discusses the TOC at the end.

Flemo and Thorncliffe will end up gentrifying and whoever lives there now will expect significant rent uptakes making it unaffordable once OL comes in

Flemo and Thorncliffe will end up gentrifying and whoever lives there now will expect significant rent uptakes making it unaffordable once OL comes in
There's nothing much the city can do if immigration keeps growing in the region. Since the government isn't restricting people coming to the GTA, finance stepped in to do the job. Eventually the lowest income figures out they can't live here and move to another city. Affordable housing isn't sustainable if low income families are filling them up faster than they are getting built. Not building any subway lines is not sustainable for the city either. The GTA is already way behind in transit

Corktown meeting coming up.

Registration link: https://metrolinx.us4.list-manage.c...efa63d1ca424de38bb&id=ee474d0921&e=e31739afaf

1712612655503.png

If you want to give yourself a headache, look at the rent differences between Thorncliffe Park and the Crescent Town buildings beside Victoria Park station. The buildings themselves are broadly comparable, but you pay a good $700/month more to be near Line 2.

If you want to give yourself a headache, look at the rent differences between Thorncliffe Park and the Crescent Town buildings beside Victoria Park station. The buildings themselves are broadly comparable, but you pay a good $700/month more to be near Line 2.
Ontario Line would be quicker to downtown / more efficient than line 2. I can only imagine how much more the rent will go up in Thorncliffe / Flemo. Good luck to the current residents.

Ontario Line would be quicker to downtown / more efficient than line 2. I can only imagine how much more the rent will go up in Thorncliffe / Flemo. Good luck to the current residents.
Yep, with so much new rapid transit being built getting vacancy decontrol repealed would do a lot to keep diverse and affordable neighbourhoods as they are, while enjoying the new infrastructure

Yep, with so much new rapid transit being built getting vacancy decontrol repealed would do a lot to keep diverse and affordable neighbourhoods as they are, while enjoying the new infrastructure
I think we are beyond the point of return regarding gentrification of flemo and Thorncliffe, it is a forgone conclusion once Eglinton LRT and Ontario Line are in operations these areas wont house many of the people that are there today. This is just reality unfortunately.

I think we are beyond the point of return regarding gentrification of flemo and Thorncliffe, it is a forgone conclusion once Eglinton LRT and Ontario Line are in operations these areas wont house many of the people that are there today. This is just reality unfortunately.
Unfortunately it does seem to be going that way, but other areas with like South Parkdale have managed to hold on for quite some time despite intensive gentrification. Any house south of Queen is $1.5 mil+ but the majority of residents are seemingly holding onto their apartments.

South Parkdale has crappy transit access which is why it has stayed affordable. Thorncliffe Park has long been affordable for similar reasons - it's hard to get to. The OL and ECLRT are changing that, so prices are going up.

I expect Parkdale to start getting pricier once the OL is closer to opening as it's going to open the area up, particularly western Parkdale, quite a bit. All the apartment buildings along Spencer and Tyndall will be within walking distance of Exhibition Station.

I don't think that conclusion is correct.

1) A material portion of the buildings in question are TCHC and Co-op.

2) Most of the older buildings are governed by rent control and tenants who can't afford better will not be moving out to much higher rents.

3) There is a ceiling on what one can charge in an older building lacking ensuite laundry, dishwashers and air conditioning.

4) Where existing private rental buildings are demolished, the City will mandate replacement rental at current rents.

To be clear, vacancies that occur naturally through people passing on, moving to Long Term Care or moving out because of financial success that permits that, will see those units rise in rent, the degree depending on how long term their tenancies were.

Also, there will be significantly more units in the area in the future, and so it is reasonable to say that the percentage of low-income earners will decline, even if they remain constant overall.

On the latter point, CreateTO has two sites adjacent to Flemingdon that will contain net new affordable housing in their mix. Also TCHC is likely to renew at least one of its TCHC communities, and I expect that will include net new affordable rental as well.

Last edited:
I don't think that conclusion is correct.

1) A material portion of the buildings in question are TCHC and Co-op.

2) Most of the older buildings are governed by rent control and tenants who can't afford better will not be moving out to much higher rents.

3) There is a ceiling on what one can charge in an older building lacking ensuite laundry, dishwashers and air conditioning.

4) Where existing private rental buildings are demolished, the City will mandate replacement rental at current rents.

To be clear, vacancies that occur naturally through people passing on, moving to Long Term Care or moving out because of financial success that permits that, will see those units rise in rent, the degree depending on how long term their tenancies were.

Also, there will significantly more units in the area in the future, and so it is reasonable to say that the percentage of low-income earners will decline, even if they remain constant overall.

On the latter point, CreateTO has two sites adjacent to Flemingdon that will contain net new affordable housing in their mix. Also TCHC is likely to renew at least one of its TCHC communities, and I expect that will include net new affordable rental as well.

TBH it is just a matter of time. EGLRT will start impacting flemo within 2-3 years however Thorncliffe Park will be safe for another 7-8 years imo as EGLRT won't impact that area as much, quicker to take 25 to Pape Station. If you are thinking of buying real estate this is the area lol

Many of the TCHC / Coop buildings are in a state of disrepair and will need complete tear down, I am pointing particularly at the townhomes in Flemo (south side of Rochefort).

If current rates are mandated, they can only be done for so long (30 years at most practically speaking). It is a ticking timebomb that Flemo and Thorncliffe communities will be lost forever. Their diversity, culture and the way the community operates will be non existent within 15-20 years. Maybe remnants will remain but what we know it to be today will be quickly forgotten. The largely immigrant population will be forced out farther and farther.

Back