Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

Every now and then I run into people who go on and on about refugees and how they're ruining our country. I've never really understood it other than as some form of muted xenophobia, considering that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between refugees and just regular immigrants. From what I understand, Canada has signed international treaties that obligate us to accept refugees; it's just a responsibility we need to accept if we want to be a participant on the world stage.

HELL NO! Dark, grey spandrel is going up on Paintbox, with light grey trim on the windows. Every single building in Regent Park, is now covered with grey spandrel. I bloody well hate it! Why call a building "Paintbox" and decorate it with a colourful roof, then cover it with ugly grey spandrel? I don't get it.

From the render, it looks like it was always going to have grey spandrel with patches of colour scattered throughout.

High-res render:
http://imganuncios.mitula.net/paintbox_condominiums_by_the_daniels_corporation_92822921458459015.jpg

Every time I see grey spandrel going up on a new building, I get depressed. I didn't have my camera with me, so no pics but I really think the colour of grey they used, is unattractive but maybe it's just that I don't like grey. It's a darker coloured grey.

In the render it looks more like a tan or sand colour. It doesn't look like dark grey to me.

Well, on closer inspection, it looks grey on top and tan near the bottom. I should have just expected it to be grey but I was hoping for something different. Silly me, one look around Regent Park and it's clear that ALL of the Daniel's buildings are grey. I will assume all the rest to come will also be grey spandrel, with glass framed with grey metal trim. I guess I need to just come to terms with that but my love of colour is a hard thing to just abandon.

For Christ's sake Toronto!

Last edited:
As per a recent meeting with Daniels and the residents of 1 / 25 Cole, Daniels' LEED buildings are apparently a big flop. The people at 1 / 25 Cole are freaking out about organic waste disposal requirements for LEED certification making their buildings reek of garbage all the time, and Daniels has been 'studying' the situation for the last year and a half without remedying the stench, meaning, they're buying time in order to get Paintbox sold out or whatnot. All their LEED buildings in this development are going to come back to bite them.

October 11 2011 update

One Park West
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1196.jpg

246-252 Sackville Street
IMG_1194.jpg

I wish One Park West wasn't so monotonous. Some dark wood would have looked nice with the white precast, but its just too much of one colour and texture for me the way it's ended up.

^^ Wood would (for lack of a better word) have been icing on the cake, but I'm pleased with how it's turned out. Regent Park is really shaping up nicely.

The brownish-red brick from the townhomes would've been perfect on the base of One Park West. It would've broken up the monotony of tones, and tied it into the townhomes much better. One Park is otherwise quite attractive.

So close yet so far. How do these professionals miss so frequently?

As per a recent meeting with Daniels and the residents of 1 / 25 Cole, Daniels' LEED buildings are apparently a big flop. The people at 1 / 25 Cole are freaking out about organic waste disposal requirements for LEED certification making their buildings reek of garbage all the time, and Daniels has been 'studying' the situation for the last year and a half without remedying the stench, meaning, they're buying time in order to get Paintbox sold out or whatnot. All their LEED buildings in this development are going to come back to bite them.

Organic waster disposal has nothing to do with LEED. All buildings are doing it now, its the law in the City of Toronto. The stench can be fixed, its just up to Daniels to do something about it. It works fine in my building.

Every now and then I run into people who go on and on about refugees and how they're ruining our country. I've never really understood it other than as some form of muted xenophobia, considering that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between refugees and just regular immigrants. From what I understand, Canada has signed international treaties that obligate us to accept refugees; it's just a responsibility we need to accept if we want to be a participant on the world stage.

Regular immigrants wait their turn and follow the rules. Refugees sneak in and take advantage of the system.

Back