Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

Re: Regent Park and Don Mount (D-Day)

Lawrence Heights. Interesting. My guess would have been Alexandria Park. Lawrence Heights, given that it is so close to the subway, Yorkdale and Lawrence/Bathurst could easily become a mixed-income, mixed-use area with at least twice the density.

Yah, I think LH's location makes it appealing to the private sector. How do you get the private sector and potential home owners interested in investing in Rexdale or Malvern? I think that public trasit in the areas has to be upgraded (maybe streetcars?) before anything wholescale can be approached.

I'm fairly sure construction has started

I see in the Star that the gangs are beginning to fight more in Regent Park, as the turf is being reduced. I'm tired of these little savages (of all races) running the downtown east area. Hopefully when RP is rebuilt, the gangs will stay in their new hoods in Scarborough and Brampton.

I see in the Star that the gangs are beginning to fight more in Regent Park, as the turf is being reduced. I'm tired of these little savages (of all races) running the downtown east area. Hopefully when RP is rebuilt, the gangs will stay in their new hoods in Scarborough and Brampton.

Or even better, decrease in size...

Alv, thanks for the link. Very interesting reading. It certainly highlights the challenges in redeveloping the most remote and troublesome projects. If the private sector is not interested in Rexdale, Jane/Finch and Malvern, maybe the answer is phasing them out and moving their residents to smaller projects throughout the city. The current land could be sold to private developers to help fund the new housing.

Hopefully when RP is rebuilt, the gangs will stay in their new hoods in Scarborough and Brampton.

...and if miketoronto has his way, they'll just stay in Brampton, Markham, Vaughan, wherever. Y'know, to teach those 905 burbs a lesson for pilfering jobs and people from Toronto, etc...

...and if miketoronto has his way, they'll just stay in Brampton, Markham, Vaughan, wherever.
It's really exciting to see folks who's parents fled to the suburbs are now retaking the city's inner core back from the gangs. Not good for Brampton, etc. certainly, but if we spread the troublesome folks around, it's better for everyone, and the downtown area certainly has its share.

^ I'm sorry, which city are you talking about?

Re: Regent Park and Don Mount

I'm sorry, which city are you talking about?
That would be the Toronto, the downtown of which, particularly east downtown (Yonge to the Don River) has been relegated to public housing, rooming houses and homeless shelters, thus bringing if not outright wecloming much of the region's if not the nation's poor and marginalized populations into one small geographic area. This does no one any good, as gangs and dispair grow, and the middle class flees to the 'burbs.

Downtown east was not always like this. Jarvis used to be Rosedale'esque, for example. Now the children of the folks who fled to the 'burbs want the inner city back, and are willing to pay top dollar for old rooming houses. In the case of Regent Park, this will lead, hopefully, to a better intergration and mixing of incomes and economic circumstances, for the betterment of everyone.

Abeja:

Actually, it's more like the upper classes originally residing in the area decided to move onto greener pastures (e.g. Rosedale), leaving the area those who are further down the socioeconomic ladder, and eventually opening up the areas for government (and privately) funded redevelopment schemes. It isn't the other way around.

AoD

opening up the areas for government (and privately) funded redevelopment schemes.
It is a shame that the developers of the time did not see the potential, and instead built rooming houses, public housing and homeless shelters. However, with the portlands and area having large industrial usage at the time, I imagine the need for such housing in the area, especially in the days before personnal and affordable cars and/or good public transit, needed to be filled.

It is a shame that the developers of the time did not see the potential

Actually they did - it's called St. Jamestown, and it wasn't rooming houses or public housing.

AoD

Actually they did - it's called St. Jamestown, and it wasn't rooming houses or public housing.
But that was terribly flawed, and unncessary block-busting for short--term profit, not long-term viability. The houses that was there before was still fine, and not the shanty-like housing of lower Cabbagetown, IIRC, that RP needed to replace.

Back