Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

S

spmarshall

Regent Park Planning Website

Webcam

A few weekends back, I took a walk through Regent Park. You will have to excuse the lighting on some of the photos, unfortunately with the short days, it's hard to get pictures bright enough.

I'll start with Regent Park North. The part bounded by Oak, Parliament, Dundas and Sackville will be the first to go, and those buildings are already vacant.

RPN1.jpg

RPN2.jpg

RPN3.jpg

RPN22.jpg

RPN21.jpg

RPN4.jpg

At this point on, the buildings are still occupied.

RPN5.jpg

RPN6.jpg

RPN7.jpg

RPN8.jpg

RPN9.jpg

RPN10.jpg

Sackville.

RPN11.jpg

RPN12.jpg

RPN13.jpg

RPN14.jpg

Dumpsters lie all over the interior of the complex.

RPN15.jpg

RPN16.jpg

RPN17.jpg

Oak Street Promenade:

RPN18.jpg

RPN19.jpg

Now, Regent Park South:

RPS1.jpg

RPS2.jpg

RPS3.jpg

RPS4.jpg

RPS5.jpg

Interesting 1950s/60s contemporary plaza in complex.

RPS6.jpg

RPS7.jpg

RPS8.jpg

RPS9.jpg

RPS10.jpg

RPS11.jpg

RPS12.jpg

Snd some of Regent Park's neighbours:

383 Shuter Street, once the smallest, now merely the narrowest house in Toronto once the upper floors were added.

RP8.jpg

Nearby cottages that reflect some of Regent Park's past housing stock:

RP9.jpg

Nelson Mandela Park Public School, in Regent Park South:

RP7.jpg

Parliament Street retail:

RP1.jpg

RP2.jpg

RP4.jpg

Moss Park Towers:

RP3.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll post an update on Don Mount, plus a retrospective.

Re: Regent Park and Don Mount

Thanks for the tour.

Awesome tour! I don't think it's an overstatement to suggest that getting the redevelopment of Regent Park "right" is one of Toronto's biggest current challenges. If it all comes together right, it could easily transform the east-side and provide a template to redevelop other parts of the city like Alexandra Park, Moss Park and also some of the suburban ones as well.

WRT to...

RP2.jpg

Queen Fine Foods is closing down in a few weeks. They recently put a sign in their window indicating as much. It'll be the second casualty I've noticed since the Shopper's Drug Mart openned on the corner of Queen E & Parliament a few months back. Dale's Drug Store (just a little west of Queen Fine Foods) closed down within two-weeks of Shopper's opening.

I actually support the Shopper's in the neighbourhood as I feel -- in general -- it's what the neighbourhood needs. Still, it's interesting to see how a major (almost big-box in size) drug store (which also sells groceries) can affect the retail mix in the area pretty much immediately.

That is rather interesting about Shoppers Drug Mart (which, despite SDM being an agent of homogenity, is a good sign for the area) - and you're right - the redevelopment of Regent Park will be a huge challenge and opportunity. That is why I'm so interested in how Don Mount will turn out, as that could be a template for the template.

That shoppers was initially going to go into the old Canada House Tavern location at the southwest corner of Queen and Sherbourne. Too bad as I know a few locals that would have seen that as progress.

Thanks for putting up the photos. It saved me a lot of time as I planned to put mine up this upcoming weekend.

So what's next on our photo tour schedule? You guys up for this weekend?

The simply one is in Germany, so I'm up for some company. What neighbourhood this time? We could also hit the National Ballet open-house this weekend too!

National Ballet works for me. I was already thinking Yonge and Bloor, Yorkville and the ROM. There's a lot going on in that area that hasn't properly been updated in a long while.

Is Regent Park still as unsafe as it was back in the day?

Fun Fact: A friend of mine who is a producer on those canada's worst driver shows recently completed shooting "canada's worst handyman" which they filmed in one of the boarded up regent park blocks. The one at Dundas/Parliament I believe.

Re: Regent Park Update: Jan 15

Here's an update. Demolition is beginning. Walking around the complex today is very eerie now.

It looks like rough site clearing (removal of fencing, outdoor furniture, trees and shrubs) has begun. I would also think that if there's asbestos, it has to be abated. I would imagine actual demolition will start soon.

Demo1.jpg

Demo2.jpg

Demo3.jpg

Demo4.jpg

Demo5.jpg

Demo6.jpg

Demo7.jpg

Demo8.jpg

Demo9.jpg

Demo10.jpg

Demo12.jpg

Wow, that's a big chunk of land being freed up. How many buildings are being pulled down in this first phase?

That would be six buildings coming down int he first phase - the area bounded by Dundas, Oak, Parliament and Sackville.

Google Map

Looks like they'll be bringing out the old wrecking ball, right? Personally I prefer the more dramatic push of the button and KABOOM method of demolition (even though I can't stand loud explosions).

Great Photos

"How many buildings are being pulled down in this first phase? "

the tallest block in the northern half (interesting starting point)

1X 8 storeys
3X 6 storeys
2X 3 storeys

Back