Toronto One Old Mill & Two Old Mill | ?m | 12s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

Tridel

Member Bio
Reaction score
Tridel has built a new website (2500bloor.ca) for its planning department with regards to the 2500 Bloor Street West sites.

The website is intended to keep everyone informed on the planning and development for the northeast and northwest corners of Bloor St. W. and Old Mill Drive.

Many preliminary documents have been uploaded with more to come. Meeting minutes, photos and videos will be posted in the future.

Awesome - perfect spot for urban infill. Another car dealership vanquished!

Now we just have to hope that the architecture will be good, though in this area the Cheddingtonistas will be difficult to overcome.

Tridel has built a new website (2500bloor.ca) for its planning department with regards to the 2500 Bloor Street West sites.

The website is intended to keep everyone informed on the planning and development for the northeast and northwest corners of Bloor St. W. and Old Mill Drive.

Many preliminary documents have been uploaded with more to come. Meeting minutes, photos and videos will be posted in the future.

Who are the members of the "working group" and how were they selected?

Now we just have to hope that the architecture will be good, though in this area the Cheddingtonistas will be difficult to overcome.

Considering how much of the community fuss over what's proposed for the Odeon Humber site may be subliminally stylistic (esp. since it's a District Lofts paraphrase), I can get your concern...

What do you have against car dealerships? I'd take one over another overpriced "trendy" coffeeshop or sushi restaurant anyday.

Who are the members of the "working group" and how were they selected?

It includes Tridel reps, the City Councillor (Bill Saundercook), and is being facilitated by Office for Urbanism and The Planning Partnership. OFU (which had also facilitated the Bloor West Design Study done in 2005) contacted Residents and other groups in the area to have 2 representatives participate.

To this point, that involves the Bloor West Village, Swansea Area, and Old Millside Residents Associations, along with the BWV BIA and world19.

We (some in world19 and others) are trying to get residents north of Bloor by the site involved as they aren't part of any organization (noted on our website). The guidelines laid out at the initial meeting (in the document on the Tridel site) seems to limit this to groups/associations.

I am rather impressed by the community consultation process that Tridel is initiating for this development.

The Office for Urbanism's thorough and illustrated Definitions and Urban Design Glossary included with Tridel's project Worksheet (starting on page 25) should be compulsory reading for UT members! Highly recommended...

Last edited:
I am rather impressed by the community cosulatation process that Tridel is initiating for this development.

The Office for Urbanism's thorough and illustrated Definitions and Urban Design Glossary included with Tridel's project Worksheet (starting on page 25) should be compulsory reading for UT members! Highly recommended...

You're right. It was very interesting. I agree, everyone should read it. It should be part of the stuff you read when you sign up for the site! :p

hurray for tridel

As a local resident, I would like to share my opinion with this forum.
Change is going too occur, you can’t stop it.
Personally, I am very happy to read that tridel will be developing that area--if someone has to do it, I believe tridel will prove to be one of the better developers.this is a fantastic location, and I believe that tridel will only enhance the area.
Also present in the bloor west village/swansea area, we have local groups and individuals that will oppose any form of construction or change. From my experience, I have found that most residents agree with new development and understand the consequences of change (i.e.; job creation, vibrant community, increase housing prices, increased traffic and noise, etc.--I don’t need to go on). Unfortunately the people opposing the development are more focused, and have more time and energy to destroy or try to change the developers plan, with the hope that the developer will give up and throw in the towel. I have gone to 3 swansea ratepayers association meetings and have discussed, with other local residents, the actions of this association. In the end, we all agree that they are a joke; they are opposed to any and all development (whether residential or commercial). I have found that they act similar to a loose cannon--shooting everybody and everything; they will never be pro-active with ANY development; their idea of pro-active is too not show up at a meeting. They are a bunch of clowns who have no knowledge or background in urban matters, whether educational or work related (if you are in doubt, check it out at one of there meetings--ask questions). They will blindly support any homeowner/irate resident who has a beef against their neighbor who wants to modernize and live in the present. Also, the older homes in swansea/bloor west village have the same square footage as a large shoe box--good luck to the young families trying to get this association's approval for a modern home; it just ain't going to happen. Additionally, it should be noted, that the areas local councilor (bill saundercook) is a waste of skin; he’s your typically politician--talks all day and says nothing. He NEVER commits to anything and wants to appear sympathetic to local residents when fighting any of the developers (i.e. Humber odeon). Has any one every tried to call this guy? I called him several time and was never able to reach him. He’s useless to me and anyone who needs his help- the most disturbing thing, is that I contribute to this mans wages. . All he cares about is the next election (how many votes do I have).
In conclusion, since tridel desires to spend time and money on bloor west village, let’s hope that they get their wish. As for the negative people, we live in Toronto-this isn’t Kirkland lake, and maybe your animosity can be channeled into happiness once change is accepted..

Meeting September 4th, 2008

I read from www.2500bloor.ca that there is a meeting on September 4th regarding the planning. The meeting is open to the public. Can you please post the time and place of such meeting ? thank you in advance.

I read from www.2500bloor.ca that there is a meeting on September 4th regarding the planning. The meeting is open to the public. Can you please post the time and place of such meeting ? thank you in advance.

Yes, it's at Runnymede United Church, 432 Runnymede Rd. (between Bloor & Annette, across from Runnymede PS). I believe you'd use the door at the end of the pathway (facing east).

As noted, the meetings are all open to the public as "observers". It's scheduled 7 to 9pm.

world19 will also likely have a few updates on our website before then.

Back