Toronto One Front | 170.86m | 49s | Larco | a—A

If it's anything like Gringotts - then yes they should ;)

IMG-2897.jpg

It's been years since I've been inside, but given that it's government office space, used hard and renovated many times, I doubt that there is much interior worth saving, unless one has a fetish for 1990s drywall and overhead light fixtures.

It's the same with the Whitney building at Queens Park. Amazing art deco exterior, some heritage features on the ground floor but the upper sections are all drywall with drop ceilings and fluorescent lighting. Nothing of character whatsoever.

A number of boreholes were completed over the last couple of weeks inside the southern property line of One Front St W. Could we be within a year(?) of starting One Front, pending approvals and sales, or is this testing somehow related to CIBC phase 2?

8E47D634-9AEE-483C-BEBE-463D26C6BB44.jpeg

91A554E2-3F49-408C-8657-528326830C1A.jpeg

Ground floor site plan from the City of Toronto site plan application.
ED938475-6808-4DBE-86A3-C9C8DCAC7E7D.png

This has got to be the worst abomination in the history of Toronto. Total clash in styles, complete disregard for a classic historic building and come on, residential beside union station? You have to be kidding me!? Option 1 don't touch it. Option 2 wait 10 years and this will become the most desired building lot in the country. Put up a single dark granite clad 50 storey office tower in the middle of the structure respectfully set back on all sides. Who approves this crap?

Has it been approved yet?

...although, I'm not sure they disapprove of something because it's proven to be butt ugly.

Could we be within a year(?) of starting One Front, pending approvals and sales, or is this testing somehow related to CIBC phase 2?

I think it will be longer than a year. The plan is to move many 1 Front employees to the Arthur Meighan Building at Yonge & St. Clair when it is ready in 2022. I work at 1 Front and my area is not moving to St. Clair but a purpose built building. If I recall correctly we have an additional year to vacate.

Is 1 Front residential still planned as rentals, not condos?

I think it will be longer than a year. The plan is to move many 1 Front employees to the Arthur Meighan Building at Yonge & St. Clair when it is ready in 2022. I work at 1 Front and my area is not moving to St. Clair but a purpose built building. If I recall correctly we have an additional year to vacate.

Is 1 Front residential still planned as rentals, not condos?
IIRC, when the Feds sold it (2+ years ago) they maintained a 5 year lease.

Coming to Heritage http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2020.PB16.3

In short:

"From a heritage conservation perspective the revised proposal is to retain all of the building's exterior elevations (protected and governed by Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act) and the interior Long Room in-situ (protected and governed by Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act). The proposal for the exterior alterations has been revised and no longer includes alterations to the window openings on the building's principle elevation. The west tower has been shifted slightly west, and the massing of the east tower has been moved north so that it no longer cantilevers over the south façade of the building. A step back of 10 metres has been maintained from the Front Street West Elevation."

and

" On the interior of the building the existing Long Room will also remain in-situ during construction. The proposal has been designed with a transfer slab that will structurally support the new development and allow the Long Room to remain intact. The project includes an underground parking garage that will be connected to the parking garage immediately south of the development site at 141 Bay Street. Underground parking is not proposed to be constructed below the Long Room. The remainder of the building's interior floor plates will be removed. New floor plates will be reinserted in approximately the same locations so that the relationship with the existing window openings is largely retained. "

Last edited:
the massing is awkward but at least we are getting a triangular floorplate for a change. I'm hopeful that the cladding might create a nice contrast with adjacent buildings including the heritage at the base (photos extracted from the heritage report linked above, there are more renders in there for those interested)
1597695673222.png
1597696968897.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They have a deal (Developer and City); Request for Direction report to have staff attend LPAT in support of a settlement going to Sept 16, TEYCC:

Charts showing revisions to the proposal:

1598971823739.png

1598971872639.png

1598971896881.png

Section 37:

1598971990282.png

1598972022228.png

@DSC I found you 3.6M to pretty up the hood!

Also of note:

It is noted the City is undergoing an internal streetscape design review to modify the curb line along the Front Street corridor, which include the section of Front Street West that abuts the subject site. Further design of the Front Street West frontage will be explored through the site plan review process.

Finally, the City and the Applicant and examining opportunities for a PATH connection.

None settled on at this time.,

Back