Toronto One Front | 170.86m | 49s | Larco | a—A

Recall that when we first saw Bay Park Centre, there was a vision of it with a building atop this one:

Recall that when we first saw Bay Park Centre, there was a vision of it with a building atop this one:

View attachment 177709
So did Hines own this space when their project was initially proposed? Why did they abandon the plans for a third building there and how did it end up in Larco's hands? Judging from this it seems unlikely that this will become a CIBC square phase 3.

So did Hines own this space when their project was initially proposed? Why did they abandon the plans for a third building there and how did it end up in Larco's hands? Judging from this it seems unlikely that this will become a CIBC square phase 3.
The site belonged to the federal government, they put it up for an auction (I think a closed-bid one where the highest bidder won without others having a chance to bid more). Larco won the auction but Ivanhoé Cambridge were certainly VERY interested in buying it when they were working on what was then 45 Bay..

Well it was Ivanhoe that owned the lands around and i believe they had every intention to purchase the Dominion Bldg.and have Hines design and build a 3rd phase
but maybe they found that the asking price from Canada Lands @ 250 million was a bit too steep that's when Larco came in and scooped it,in an auction
so yeah it unlikely Ivanhoe will try to buy it back at an inflated price

it will be awesome if they build something like American radiator building in NYC or the Hard rock hotel Chicago, on top of the heritage building at one front. will it be expensive to build a building like that now adays?

View attachment 178027

View attachment 178029

P.C. https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view...the-hard-rock-hotel-chicago-illinois,2319314/

Well yes, obviously such glorious, stunning buildings cannot be built today. Glass and spandrel or nothing.

Well yes, obviously such glorious, stunning buildings cannot be built today. Glass and spandrel or nothing.
I'd be happy with one taller building matching the heritage structure .....something like One Bennett Park in Chicago / 30 Park Place - 220 Central Park South in NYC
But then again they would have to bring in Robert Stern:)

Last edited:
That's a bad example. We have One St. Thomas by Stern as the cheap attempt at that style. It's not my cup of tea, but it isn't a terribly offensive building.

That's a bad example. We have One St. Thomas by Stern as the cheap attempt at that style. It's not my cup of tea, but it isn't a terribly offensive building.

I don't know how "cheap" One St. Thomas is - smaller scaled than the forementioned examples, sure. It worked for what it is.

I for one would be more excited for a CIBC Square Phase 3 than a condo.

I wasn't too impressed by the concept presented in PE's old rendering either. Sometimes it is just better not to fit a square peg in a round hole - just move most of the density as a lateral extension to CIBC2 - into something akin to Tokyo Metropolitan Building No.2, leaving some for a relatively minor addition to the heritage building. Too late for that now.

AoD

Last edited:

Back