Toronto One Front | 170.86m | 49s | Larco | a—A

So one of the footprints is directly over the heritage designated long room?

Nothing is sacred in this city, except for single family homes in the Annex.
What are you trying to say - yes, there will be part of a tower above the Long Room but it is designed so that the Room itself remains untouched and the original skylight can be re-opened.

Even though this is clearly a developer-sponsored event it might be interesting?

The next St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association Community meeting will take place on Wednesday, September 26, 7 p.m. at a special location - the Sony Centre, 1 Front E.
A special consultation on a new development proposed for 1 Front W. (site of the beautiful beaux-arts neoclassical designed Dominion Public Building). The site serves as a visual gateway to the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood and Lura Consulting will be facilitating the consultation session organized specifically for our neighbourhood.

Even though this is clearly a developer-sponsored event it might be interesting?

The next St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association Community meeting will take place on Wednesday, September 26, 7 p.m. at a special location - the Sony Centre, 1 Front E.
A special consultation on a new development proposed for 1 Front W. (site of the beautiful beaux-arts neoclassical designed Dominion Public Building). The site serves as a visual gateway to the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood and Lura Consulting will be facilitating the consultation session organized specifically for our neighbourhood.

I would love to sit in on this meeting. Is the public allowed to attend? Also, there happens to be a show on that night.
How would one get to what I presume would be a meeting room?

I'm really not opposed to two towers, or one supertall tower, or any addition to this building. It's beautiful and they shouldn't touch a damn thing on the existing building, and if they have to for structural reasons, they need to take it apart carefully and put it back together.

That said, these towers are trash. Go back to the drawing board IMO. aA has has many great designs to my eye, this is not one of them.

Last edited:
I'm really not opposed to two towers, or one supertall tower, or any addition to this building. It's beautiful and they shouldn't touch a damn thing on the existing building, and if they have to for structural reasons, they need to take it apart carefully and put it back together.

That said, these towers are trash. Go back to the drawing board IMO. aA has has many great designs to my eye, this is not one of them.

The INSIDE of the building (apart from the Long Room is FAR from beautiful. It is a maze of small rooms and was used initially as a customs examining building. The EXTERIOR (at least north and east sides) is magnificent.

Does anyone know if this the maximum number of floors the city allows on the site? I mean Larco should add 5-10 floors more on both the towers otherwise both of them will be lost in the skyline.

Looking at the One Front database photos . The one building seems to be too close to the CIBC tower. Maybe they should create one taller, fatter building instead of two. Or create the Royal Bank style building having one building taller than the other with a huge artrium in the middle. Would be nice to see brown tone colours instead of blue green on the facade !

The height of the towers here is constrained by Berczy Park: they cannot add new shadows on it. That's why they are proposed at the heights they are already… and as they are proposing a pair of rental residential towers, they don't care if they get lost in the skyline.

The one that's close to the CIBC North tower has its closest point 25 metres away from CIBC North, so it's not too close.

Two smaller towers are proposed instead of a single lager one because…
  • As residential towers, you want small floor plates so that the suites get enough light. (Office tower floor plates are much deeper.)
  • By splitting the towers apart, they can reconstitute an atrium between them in the base building that was originally there. That will also allow them to get light into hotel rooms that they want to build in the base building.

Upcoming Public Meeting:

1 Front St W and 141 Bay (Dominion Public Building) Redevelopment Public Meeting
Monday, April 1st, 7:00pm

Novotel Hotel, Champagne Ballroom, 45 The Esplanade
  1. City-Initiated Zoning By-law Amendment
    The City has initiated a Zoning By-law amendment to relocate the as-of-right tower envelope at 1 Front St. W. to address heritage and tower separation distance issues.
  2. Owner Submitted Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment
    The owner of the Dominion Public Building has submitted an application to permit two towers of 49 and 45 stories on top of the Dominion Public Building, containing a total of 836 residential units, 251 hotel rooms, and 8,986 sq.m. of retail space.
View the meeting flyer here for more information.

Back