Toronto One Forest Hill | 38.6m | 12s | North Drive | Richard Wengle

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
200 ST CLAIR AVE W
Ward 22 - Tor & E.York District

To obtain site plan approval for the subject lands to allow for the construction of a 8-15 storey condo building containing 130 residential units and 152 below grade parking spaces of which 139 parking spaces are for residents and 13 parking spaces are for visitors.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 14 200555 STE 22 SA Aug 1, 2014 Under Review
OPA & Rezoning 14 200553 STE 22 OZ Aug 1, 2014 Under Review

Sign at the site.

unnamed-1.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3,731
I would never expected this strip of St Clair in Forest Hill to go high-rise the way it is. Zigg will be across the street.

preliminary report
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-74291.pdf

"The application is not acceptable in its current form and constitutes overdevelopment. It does not meet existing or amended policies of the Official Plan for this segment of St. Clair Avenue West. The proposal needs to be revised to address issues including its
impacts on the adjacent Neighbourhood, the St. Clair Avenue streetscape, and Glenn Gould Park"

preliminary report
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-74291.pdf

"The application is not acceptable in its current form and constitutes overdevelopment. It does not meet existing or amended policies of the Official Plan for this segment of St. Clair Avenue West. The proposal needs to be revised to address issues including its
impacts on the adjacent Neighbourhood, the St. Clair Avenue streetscape, and Glenn Gould Park"

15 storeys is “overdevelopment” at St. Clair & Avenue?!!

Is 15 storey's really a high rise, in my opinion they are midrises.

Per City of Toronto: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=7238036318061410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

What is a mid-rise building?

Mid-rise buildings are the 'in between' scale of building, they are bigger than houses but smaller than towers. Mid-rise buildings have a good scale and relationship to the street. They define or make walls to the street that are tall enough to feel like a city and provide lots of usable space, but low enough to let the sun in and open the view to the sky from the street. They support a comfortable pedestrian environment, and animate the street by lining the sidewalk with doors and windows with active uses including stores, restaurants, services, grade related apartments, and community uses. Mid-rise buildings may contain a single use like an office or residential apartment but they usually contain a mix of uses which may include retail, office, community service, and residential all in the same building. The height of a mid-rise building varies from street to street, as we define mid-rises as buildings that are no taller than the width of their adjacent street right-of-way (the width of the publicly owned portion of the street). In Toronto, on the narrower 20 metre wide streets in the downtown, a mid-rise is 5 or 6 stories high. On the wider arterial streets outside of the Downtown, a mid-rise may be taller up to a maximum of 11 storeys on the widest Avenues. Mid-rises typically are designed with step-backs or terraces at upper levels to make them appear lower in height from the street, and to allow sunlight and sky views on the sidewalk.

^yup, this is pretty clearly highrise. this would be a midrise if it didn't have that tower part above the initial large setback.

That said, there is precedent in the area, with a much taller building right across the street.

Last edited:
I think they've amended it to 12 storeys, less units, and more outdoor amenity spaces. I don't know if the revision has passed the check? The design picture looks good, a very green building from outside.

But I've heard several complaints from the doctors inside the current St. Clair medical building about the tearing down of the current building because they have nowhere to go. I think there are nearly 50 medical offices in the building right now and they will be evicted if this new residential building will be constructed.

Always a good side and a bad side...

There was an OMB hearing scheduled for mid-March, but the site has no decision posted stemming from it. I'd love to know what happened.

Back