Toronto One Delisle | 155m | 44s | Slate | Studio Gang

Yeah...they took the nerf bat to the design. /sigh

...that said, it's still more advanced design than most anything else that's been put up in the last while. Still would have loved the hexagons though, as that would have been the real icing on this cake, IMO.

I think it has started.
Screenshot_20201109-131904_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: PMT
It has also lost the literal crown-like look of the previous crown.
If they tapered the boxes on the top mechanical level, it would regain a form of crown at probably little expense.
The new version looks more like a top hat (without a brim) than a crown.

It has also lost the literal crown-like look of the previous crown. Disappointing changes but not deal-breaking bad, lets see what other changes come down the line.
Yeah...they took the nerf bat to the design. /sigh

...that said, it's still more advanced design than most anything else that's been put up in the last while. Still would have loved the hexagons though, as that would have been the real icing on this cake, IMO.
Surprise, surprise it's gradually getting Toronto'ed.
Did they change the design? The hexagons are missing! It doesn't look nice anymore.
In 2 months they'll give us a render of a grey spandral box at this rate.
If they tapered the boxes on the top mechanical level, it would regain a form of crown at probably little expense.
The new version looks more like a top hat (without a brim) than a crown.

I just have to say it. I am finding commenters in this thread to be an unreasonably tough crowd. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions. But this is a stunning building design, highly unusual and head and shoulders above most of what we see in Toronto these days, especially residential buildings. The original design intent and concept is maintained and refined. Clearly there is still a crown at the top. If you are looking for someone to blame (if you can even call it that) for design refinements as the rubber hits the road towards sales, marketing, and construction, perhaps look to Toronto Community Planning and City Council which stalled this for two years at great cost to the property owners, for extremely minimal changes to the original proposal.

Have to agree.. and of course there's still a crown. I'll miss the stretched hexagons but this remains an outstanding design. Just pray for great materials/execution and it will be a landmark.

I just have to say it. I am finding commenters in this thread to be an unreasonably tough crowd. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions. But this is a stunning building design, highly unusual and head and shoulders above most of what we see in Toronto these days, especially residential buildings. The original design intent and concept is maintained and refined. Clearly there is still a crown at the top. If you are looking for someone to blame (if you can even call it that) for design refinements as the rubber hits the road towards sales, marketing, and construction, perhaps look to Toronto Community Planning and City Council which stalled this for two years at great cost to the property owners, for extremely minimal changes to the original proposal.
I’m sorry if I came off as too critical, I always try to keep a positive spin on this forum!

I think the stunning design of this building is what made even the smallest change harder to swallow. If it was another spandrel box that got VE’d, well no real loss, but watching a beautiful design slowly get diluted is something we’ve seen time and time again. I still have faith in this building though.

I should reiterate that I absolutely love this building and I’m very happy a world-renowned firm is designing something in our city.

Last edited:
Outside of what appears to be projecting to a degree here...

...I'm not sure why you included myself in your list when I've clearly stated:

...that said, it's still more advanced design than most anything else that's been put up in the last while.
So to reiterate for the record, I don't like what they've done...doesn't mean I don't support this project because of it. Nor am I expecting perfection. Regardless, I still find this one of the most promising projects that will most likely make an iconic impact on the St. Clair/Yonge corridor. I'm not sure where you are getting I've written this all off somehow. Or with others who expressed criticisms with this...though I can't speak for them directly.

Therefore, I really hope in the end this isn't some callous exercise in attacking a strawman here because we disagree with some finer points and/or have expressed concerns where this is going. I think you are above that, personally.

One bit of nice crown detailing that I missed when first viewing the new render, are the staggered rectangular panels. A little clearer in this screenshot.

One-Delisle.jpg

https://onedelisle.com/en

Attachments

• One-Delisle.jpg
    One-Delisle.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 224

Back