Toronto One Delisle | 155m | 44s | Slate | Studio Gang

But how would you create a fair system that would filter these bad actors out? I'm not sure that's even or ever possible.

It's almost as though neighbourhood consultation is a bad thing and has been weaponized by existing land owners to prevent newcomers into neighbourhoods. And maybe, bear with me now, these folks shouldn't have a say at all in what gets built?

I'd ask Josh Matlow about this but he's blocked me. Maybe someone else can ask him about the time his dad was removed from the provincial bench for using his office (unsuccessfully) to try and NIMBY a development on St. Clair...

FWIW: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2008/05/30/crusading_judge_unfit_for_office_probe_finds.html

AoD

This is like UT Christmas* in July.

First Aqualuna and now a definite maybe on the best new proposed building (in my Art-ichoke opinion). Fingers, legs. toes and eyes crossed.

*this references a non-secular event in late December that involves a man in a red suit and a historical figure.

Do you mean today at the meeting where they adopted the bylaw or is there another opportunity period to appeal?
After today's Council decision, there is an opportunity for a third party appeal. The City must issue an official Notice of Approval within 15-days of Council's decision (today). After this, there is a 20-day period where a third party can appeal. After this appeal period ends (with no appeals filed), the planning instruments come into full force and effect.

Launching an appeal of a Council decision costs $1,100 in fees to the provincial government, followed by whatever representation that you're going to need for your appeal. That would most certainly include the costs of a lawyer practicing in planning issues, and experts to study and then explain your case for why the reasons for your appeal are sound. I believe there's also the possibility of being sued for the costs incurred by the defendants if it's determined that your appeal was frivolous or vexatious. (I'd be happy to be corrected or have the intricacies further explained if someone here is more familiar with those particulars.)

It's not a cheap matter to pursue an appeal, and of course there's no guarantee of winning it.

Launching an appeal of a Council decision costs $1,100 in fees to the provincial government, followed by whatever representation that you're going to need for your appeal. That would most certainly include the costs of a lawyer practicing in planning issues, and experts to study and then explain your case for why the reasons for your appeal are sound. I believe there's also the possibility of being sued for the costs incurred by the defendants if it's determined that your appeal was frivolous or vexatious. (I'd be happy to be corrected or have the intricacies further explained if someone here is more familiar with those particulars.)

It's not a cheap matter to pursue an appeal, and of course there's no guarantee of winning it.

The cost of it all is why there often isn't an appeal. But it does happen in wealthy areas sometimes, when NIMBYs have more money than they know what to do with. Often with varying levels of hilarity since they almost never win an appeal. It can be very frustrating as a developer to get appealed though, even if you will likely still end up with an approved development, as it can significantly extend how long it takes to get that approval.

Costs are rarely awarded in a hearing, unless the board determines the appellant to be unusually frivolous or vexatious. Something like not showing up to the hearing. It's unlikely costs would be awarded if they simply lost the hearing.

If I had more money than I know what to do with it and lived in that area, I would be throwing money at it. What a ridiculous improvement to dull area. And it's not like it's been sprouted up in someone's Queen Victoria backyard. It seems to be a no brainer to embrace this project, IMO....unless I am missing something.

Back