Toronto One Delisle | 155m | 44s | Slate | Studio Gang

Just curious, why aren't these other demographic groups showing up to these meetings to weigh in as well, instead of just allowing the most privileged crowd to have an exclusive monopoly on local interests?
It's a really good question. I think there are a lot of factors at play here. Older people are more likely to be retired and have enough time on their hands to attend planning meetings. The demographics of homeownership skew largely older and whiter in Toronto in general, and property owners are the ones concerned about property values, "neighbourhood character", and maintaining homogeneity of culture and built form. Younger and racialized neighbours tend to have bigger fish to fry thanks to structural inequities. Precarious employment, long commutes, and childcare responsibilities are all going to reduce participation in planning meetings, and they disproportionately affect the people who are underrepresented in the process. There's also a vicious cycle where certain voices tend to dominate these meetings with anger and vitriol, making them unpleasant for anyone who is there to learn and participate with an open mind and ensuring that the only people who are willing to engage are the angry hordes. These spaces just don't feel welcoming or safe for people who don't fit the NIMBY demographic.

There's also a vicious cycle where certain voices tend to dominate these meetings with anger and vitriol, making them unpleasant for anyone who is there to learn and participate with an open mind and ensuring that the only people who are willing to engage are the angry hordes. These spaces just don't feel welcoming or safe for people who don't fit the NIMBY demographic.
I'd be curious to see the demographics of residents and neighbourhood association groups in this city.

Speaking of community meetings: Josh is holding one.

I'd be curious to see the demographics of residents and neighbourhood association groups in this city.
The last time I checked, the North Rosedale Residents’ Association board was elected by fewer than fifty people. IDK if other RA’s are as unrepresentative.

The last time I checked, the North Rosedale Residents’ Association board was elected by fewer than fifty people. IDK if other RA’s are as unrepresentative.

That doesn't seem terrible as there can't be more than a couple hundred homes in that area and many are either leased or second homes.

Getting 30% of condo owners to show up for an AGM meeting in the building can take some effort and that has much more direct and immediate impact.

let nothing stand in the way of this gem being built! although once approved and construction starts then we will have to wait and see if we get one of the frequent bait and switch jobs in TO, it's still a long way between some fancy renders and getting this in reality...

Here we go, hopefully.........

Report recommending approval coming to Community Council on July 16, 2020.

Don't get too excited. It's been to TEYCC twice already with staff support, and was deferred twice already by Councillor Matlow.

1593707950225.png

Although, the community consultation meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, so maybe this finally makes it through:

1593708085695.png

1593708105949.png

Watched the recording of the community meeting. It seemed to mainly be a chance to explain the merits of the current deal to interested community members, and to give them one more chance to feel heard.
It's Matlow, he's likely playing political games while thinking he's smarter than everyone else in the room. The community has had lots of time to be heard, this approval has been delayed by nearly half a year for people "to be heard". It's time for it to just be approved already.

I have no particular fondness for the old Ira Berg builing on that corner (they carried Celine when it was an uber exclusive carriage trade lable, but I digress) but it's perhaps useful to recall that 10 Delisle faced significant opposition before it was built and in fact the higher floors were moved from the Heath Street side to the Delisle side to address that opposition.

It's almost as though neighbourhood consultation is a bad thing and has been weaponized by existing land owners to prevent newcomers into neighbourhoods. And maybe, bear with me now, these folks shouldn't have a say at all in what gets built?

I'd ask Josh Matlow about this but he's blocked me. Maybe someone else can ask him about the time his dad was removed from the provincial bench for using his office (unsuccessfully) to try and NIMBY a development on St. Clair...

Back