Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

There will be a gap between the slab edge and the balcony glazing-- there has to be space for all sorts of reasons (expansion/contraction at the very least).

Buildings always have some gap when the balcony glass sits in front of the slab, but there is usually a metal tray beneath which, among other things, prevents objects from falling through the gap.
The gap at Absolute is large enough for a beer bottle to roll through - found that out the hard way.

Living on the 31st floor and finding a smashed beer bottle on your balcony makes you scratch your head, to say the least. I can only imagine being on 50 or 80 and finding the same thing - along with the 20 or so cigarette butts that were inside it when it hit your railing and exploded. My upstairs neighbors got a good talking to, I hear.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I know One Bloor East is going to be shorter than Aura, but since it's further north and presumably on higher ground, will it actually look taller in the skyline?

Not to be facetious, but that will depend entirely upon where you are when looking at the two buildings, and it will likely come down to which one you are closer to. If you are talking about the skyline as seen from the classic postcard view over the Harbour, it's very doubtful you'll even see One Bloor from most vantage points.

Not to be facetious, but that will depend entirely upon where you are when looking at the two buildings, and it will likely come down to which one you are closer to. If you are talking about the skyline as seen from the classic postcard view over the Harbour, it's very doubtful you'll even see One Bloor from most vantage points.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess I usually view the city from the east side, so in my mind I was wondering what one would look taller from Riverdale Park. Right now Aura looks absolutely massive from there.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I know One Bloor East is going to be shorter than Aura, but since it's further north and presumably on higher ground, will it actually look taller in the skyline?

Prehaps, if viewing it from the foot of Yonge Street. It all depends on the angle at which you're viewing the skyline. I've noticed that from some points of view, the taller Ice tower seems higher the FCP, it's all a matter of prespective, but yes, One Bloor is shorter then Aura, but not by much, at least, not enough to make a huge difference. If only Aura had the same amazing lines that One Bloor is developing. :cool:

Aura is helped by being relatively alone, and thus dominating the skyline, especially when viewed from the east or west. Although One Bloor may be nearly as tall, it is in a lot of company at its location, and from many vantage points will only peak out above the other buildings.

Aura is helped by being relatively alone, and thus dominating the skyline, especially when viewed from the east or west. Although One Bloor may be nearly as tall, it is in a lot of company at its location, and from many vantage points will only peak out above the other buildings.

Actually, until such time as other talls join the vicinity, 1 Bloor will tower over it's neighbours by about 300 to 400 feet, so it will be like an NBA centre in a police line-up with midgets. (no disrespect intended towards short people) Even the somewhat lonesomely tall 4S will only come up to about chest level

I think this will be a really nice contribution to the area and that very important corner. They seem to have put a lot of thought into making the building a show piece and create a positive street presence.

This building has been a VERY long time in the making but so far it looks like it was worth the wait.

I agree, definitely worth the wait. I think had the Bazis proposal gone through way back when we'd all be lamenting the giant eyesore at this intersection; there's no way their finished result would've had the attention to detail and sophistication of the building we're getting now.

From Bay and Bloor last night:

IMG_20140814_182431.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140814_182431.jpg
    IMG_20140814_182431.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,116
This building is the mother of creativity in architecture in Toronto. its wonderful each and every floor is visible from top.
and that glass is A+ and those curves are beautiful.

Last edited:
When full of people those set-back balconies will add so much animation to the building and the corner!

Back