Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

This is what the public art is supposed to look like I believe...

onebloor.png

Source: Great Gulf

Attachments

• onebloor.png
    onebloor.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 606
Who is the artist and how much did it cost?

Not sure about cost but here is a description and a couple more images of this piece of art...

One Bloor's dynamic, undulating facade with an accompanying sculpture that appears to be set in perpetual motion. Set to be installed this fall, two 31-metre-tall stacks of metal tubing will sway back and forth like dancing robotic arms. At times the pillars will seem close to toppling over, but passersby can trust the artwork to stand strong – hence its name, Safe Hands.

onebloor1.jpg

onebloor2.jpg

Attachments

• onebloor2.jpg
    onebloor2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 837
  • onebloor1.jpg
    onebloor1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 900
Not sure about cost but here is a description and a couple more images of this piece of art...

One Bloor's dynamic, undulating facade with an accompanying sculpture that appears to be set in perpetual motion. Set to be installed this fall, two 31-metre-tall stacks of metal tubing will sway back and forth like dancing robotic arms. At times the pillars will seem close to toppling over, but passersby can trust the artwork to stand strong – hence its name, Safe Hands.

View attachment 161598

View attachment 161597

I wonder how the dynamics of this piece works - is the movement powered?

AoD

Here's some more pics of the protectively-wrapped cylinders, and there's more in a front page story which also includes the video that shows how this will operate when complete.

DSC00169.jpg
DSC00170.jpg
DSC08232.jpg
DSC08234.jpg
IMG_4830.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00169.jpg
    DSC00169.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 600
  • DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC08232.jpg
    DSC08232.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 607
  • DSC08234.jpg
    DSC08234.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_4830.jpg
    IMG_4830.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 548
It's weird and I love it. (Though it's not even complete yet and I'm already possessed of a powerful urge to shimmy up and stick a giant pair of googly eyes on each stalk.)

Seeing the bolts leads me to doubt that this will be dynamic. Even as a static piece though, it should liven up the intersection. Looking forward to it!

Seeing the bolts leads me to doubt that this will be dynamic. Even as a static piece though, it should liven up the intersection. Looking forward to it!
Seeing the video leads me to believe this will be dynamic. Have you checked it out in the front page story? It appears that only the upper parts of the installation turn.

Back