Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I completely agree. I think Nordstrom (full line) should have taken this location, with Saks Fifth Avenue taking over the Hudson's Bay on Bloor (Saks at Eaton's feels "smushed").
There's nowhere near enough space for a full-line Nordstrom store at One Bloor East.

Do you mind expanding with some facts to support "finding out the hard way"? The background would help. Thx!
The store at Eaton Centre has been consistently under-performing ever since they've opened and they rarely, if ever, reach their sales targets. Not to say that they are losing money which is not the case, but they are not making a whole lot of money as one would think. Their Yorkdale store makes a lot more compared to the Eaton location, which yes isn't surprising, but at the same time it isnt a good thing since they consider the Eaton Centre location to be their flagship store.

I wont get too much into the numbers here since this thread is for 1 Bloor East, but i've discussed in the past in the Nordstrom thread how badly the Eaton Centre store was struggling in the past. I'll put it this way, both Saks and Nordstrom downtown are struggling badly, so if one thinks Saks is struggling at the Queen location the same thing is essentially happening over at Nordstrom Eaton Centre.

New plantings today on the terrace
E613E4D6-161D-46EB-A1F0-7A0E9B2C486B.jpeg

Attachments

• E613E4D6-161D-46EB-A1F0-7A0E9B2C486B.jpeg
    E613E4D6-161D-46EB-A1F0-7A0E9B2C486B.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 566
Do you mind expanding with some facts to support "finding out the hard way"? The background would help. Thx!

Exactly.

The Winners/Homesense sitting amongst a block containing Gucci, Burberry and Brooks Brothers and across the street from Prada, Dolce & Gabbana and Michael Kors doesn't seem to be suffering in the least; and they're 'Rack's direct competition.

Last edited:
Exactly.

The Winners/Homesense sitting amongst a block containing Gucci, Burberry and Brooks Brothers and across the street from Prada, Dolce & Gabbana and Michael Kors doesn't seem to be suffering in the least; and they're 'Rack's direct competition.
Two points here:

1. There comes a point in time where the market is over-saturated with a retailer targeting certain consumers, and for this particular market (Yonge and Bloor) the demand isnt huge. The target market is there yes, but it's not massive. Before the Winners at Bay and Bloor (the one that you're referring to) was around, there was no retailer targeting this market so of course they're not suffering since they are serving most of the clientele which wasnt being served before.

2. We're not implying here that a Nordstrom Rack will struggle at this location. My point earlier was to illustrate that a full-line Nordstrom store would have performed much better around this location, while a Rack store would have performed better around Yonge and Dundas. Why do you think Winners opened a second location just down the block from Yonge and College? The market at Yonge and Dundas is much different than around Yonge and Bloor.

Two points here:

1. There comes a point in time where the market is over-saturated with a retailer targeting certain consumers, and for this particular market (Yonge and Bloor) the demand isnt huge. The target market is there yes, but it's not massive. Before the Winners at Bay and Bloor (the one that you're referring to) was around, there was no retailer targeting this market so of course they're not suffering since they are serving most of the clientele which wasnt being served before.

First off, I live in the Y&B area. Winners and Nordstrom Rack is more my price range than a full-blown Nordstrom. Yonge & Bloor isn't just Maserati-driving millionaires. Yes, they may throw the average salary up in these parts, but they aren't in the majority and the others who live in the area appreciate when a new business opens up that isn't either discount off-brand garbage or out of the price range of the average Torontonian.

Second, re: "over-saturation", high-end stores should be the ones suffering in Yorkville by this logic. With the Bay upping their game and Holt Renfrew well-established, it'd seem like a regular Nordstrom would be on less steady footing than a Rack.

Third; I'm pretty sure that Nordstrom has done extensive research. More so than armchair quarterbacking urbanists like us have.

With the Bay upping their game

The Bay at Yonge-Bloor is simply a depressing place. It is a long-dead relic of a bygone era. It has no “game” to up. The hideous sarcophagus in which it is entombed needs to be demolished and carted off unceremoniously to the Leslie Spit. Would be a huge win for the area and for the city. Hopefully it will happen soon.

(and no offence meant to you Zang...you are right about the composition of the neighbourhood...just tired of the Bay dominating almost the entire block. Could be so much better.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't call myself an expert but I've taken a class and have read a couple books on trees. The general idea is that when trees are dormant it's less trematic for them to be transplanted. So anytime while they don't have leaves. Winter doesn't work because it's hard to dig--so fall or spring.
Trees are absolutely fascinating. If anyone wants to learn more I'd recommend this book:
The hidden life of Trees
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDM3462468&R=3462468

After reading this I'm surprised how many trees survive in the city. Especially surrounding by concrete and with so little of the resources that allow them to thrive. Not to mention salt, acidic dog urine, bark damage, and the direct sun and heat.

I work at a commercial tree nursery, and I can confirm you hit the nail on the head with that one. You understand how trees function better than 99% of the people I talk to, so I wouldn't stop short of calling you an expert!

Last edited:
The Bay at Yonge-Bloor is simply a depressing place. It is a long-dead relic of a bygone era. It has no “game” to up. The hideous sarcophagus in which it is entombed needs to be demolished and carted off unceremoniously to the Leslie Spit. Would be a huge win for the area and for the city. Hopefully it will happen soon.

(and no offence meant to you Zang...you are right about the composition of the neighbourhood...just tired of the Bay dominating almost the entire block. Could be so much better.)

None taken. I've said before in other threads that I'm confused why this Bay in particular has been so neglected (though, the "ground floor" has vastly improved over the past year), while other less prominent stores are getting a whole makeover. This is why I said the Bay is upping their game; and unless they're planning on selling the property, this building *will* eventually get the full, more high-end makeover that others have received. I'm just mystified as to why the neglect when it's attached to the tallest building with their name on it. I also think this location in particular would benefit greatly from a food hall similar to the Eaton Centre location.

It certainly is an eyesore. But demolition isn't particularly necessary; assuming it's structurally viable, I think the building would seem less offensive if the south-side facade were ripped off and replaced with glass. A better set of entrances would benefit as well.

Hello everyone ! I did something really funny with those 3 photos.
I imagined that Great Gulf gave a twin to 1 Bloor East . I always wondered how it would look like .
In the scenario,the twin measure the same size that the One.
Tell me what do you think of that .
Enjoy it and please like it.

2 Photos of steveve
steveve10.jpg

steveve12.jpg

Photo of am29

am29c.jpeg

Attachments

• sommid tower f1.jpg
    sommid tower f1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 398
  • am29c.jpeg