Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I wouldn't call myself an expert but I've taken a class and have read a couple books on trees. The general idea is that when trees are dormant it's less trematic for them to be transplanted. So anytime while they don't have leaves. Winter doesn't work because it's hard to dig--so fall or spring.
Trees are absolutely fascinating. If anyone wants to learn more I'd recommend this book:
The hidden life of Trees
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDM3462468&R=3462468

After reading this I'm surprised how many trees survive in the city. Especially surrounding by concrete and with so little of the resources that allow them to thrive. Not to mention salt, acidic dog urine, bark damage, and the direct sun and heat.

...but, ya, planting them in the fall is fine.
Thanks, definitely bookmarked and will look to purchase.

Will be a good read and resource to have on hand.

I wouldn't call myself an expert but I've taken a class and have read a couple books on trees. The general idea is that when trees are dormant it's less trematic for them to be transplanted. So anytime while they don't have leaves. Winter doesn't work because it's hard to dig--so fall or spring.
Trees are absolutely fascinating. If anyone wants to learn more I'd recommend this book:
The hidden life of Trees
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDM3462468&R=3462468

After reading this I'm surprised how many trees survive in the city. Especially surrounding by concrete and with so little of the resources that allow them to thrive. Not to mention salt, acidic dog urine, bark damage, and the direct sun and heat.

...but, ya, planting them in the fall is fine.

great book recommendation! thanks for sharing!

This morning.
IMG_4665.jpg
IMG_4666.jpg
IMG_4667.jpg
IMG_4668.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4665.jpg
    IMG_4665.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_4666.jpg
    IMG_4666.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_4667.jpg
    IMG_4667.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_4668.jpg
    IMG_4668.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 563
great book recommendation! thanks for sharing!

It's a great read and even a bit mystical while using hard science, which I personally love. LEAF, a gta non-profit, also runs a great tree identification course. I don't currently see anything on the calendar but watch for it if you're interested. Very useful, not just for ID-ing but also for the urban tree canopy and survival. It's not just for old people and hobbyists too, there were a few people taking the course to help get into environmental sciences. There's actually growing demand for tree experts out there. Good job.
Leaf:
http://www.yourleaf.org/learn

But back to topic:
I'm loving 1bloor's base. Everyone sharing your photos is awesome. HP has become my favorite Toronto architecture firm during the time this building has risen. Let's hope they don't just settle on a style but keep pushing the envelope to get them into something more internationally know.

I'm assuming we won't see the pool cleaned and some general grooming up there until the winter months are over. Excited to see it all glimmer come spring/summer!

One Bloor East feels like it's taking some time to finish up- especially with the balcony glass.

I wonder if they used the same glass suppliers as they did for FIVE (which also appeared seemingly stalled at the last mile).

There's something about a Nordstrom Rack that seems so anticlimactic for the ground floor of this impressive landmark at this singular location.
Honestly I’m thinking the same. On one of the busiest intersections in the country, it’s really disappointing to see a discount chain being placed here.

I always believed Ralph Lauren should have opened their first Canadian flagship here.

There's no doubt Nordstrom miscalculated. A full-line Nordstrom store would have made more sense here instead of at the Eaton Centre, but they're finding that out the hard way right now.

Yonge street is really saturated with off-price retailers right now with 3 Winners and a Marshalls lined up within a 3km span of each other.

There's no doubt Nordstrom miscalculated. A full-line Nordstrom store would have made more sense here instead of at the Eaton Centre, but they're finding that out the hard way right now.

Yonge street is really saturated with off-price retailers right now with 3 Winners and a Marshalls lined up within a 3km span of each other.
I completely agree. I think Nordstrom (full line) should have taken this location, with Saks Fifth Avenue taking over the Hudson's Bay on Bloor (Saks at Eaton's feels "smushed").

Do you mind expanding with some facts to support "finding out the hard way"? The background would help. Thx!

Back