Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Tuscani beat me to it but yeah, the initial artist's intent was that it move, but that seems to have been abandoned. Not really surprising though - the maintenance costs of that thing operating consistently would have been astronomical.

Yeah. If I was a resident in the building the 4th proposal I would have made (after ditching the Great Gulf security, management, and cleaning companies) would have been unplugging the art.

Rule 1, sculpture is a three dimensional medium. Rule 2, sculpture should be viewable from all sides (see rule 1). I don’t understand why this thing was designed to be slammed up against a wall. Much like the Zhang Huan sculpture at the Shangrila building is slammed up against a wall. Designing a sculpture for a specific space is half the battle. Sculpture needs room to breathe. I really dislike this thing, almost as much as I dislike the silly snowmen sculptures slammed up against the new rental building at Gerrard and Bay Streets. I would love to see more public art in Toronto, we don't have enough of it, but the "Safe Hands" sculpture was obviously envisioned to be a kinetic piece. In my opinion it's unsuccessful as a static piece. I'm very disappointed. Oh well, maybe I'll start a thread dedicated solely to public art.

This morning with light fog.
F041B8C1-E8B1-4BCC-9679-C1C2DA9219FE.jpeg

Yeah. If I was a resident in the building the 4th proposal I would have made (after ditching the Great Gulf security, management, and cleaning companies) would have been unplugging the art.

"If I was a resident in the building the 4th proposal I would have made (after ditching the Great Gulf security, management, and cleaning companies) would have been unplugging the art, and getting sued for doing so."

Fixed it

"If I was a resident in the building the 4th proposal I would have made (after ditching the Great Gulf security, management, and cleaning companies) would have been unplugging the art, and getting sued for doing so."

Fixed it

The municipality has laws requiring developers invest in artwork. There is nothing legally requiring the condo corporation to maintain the artwork in exactly the same condition as received; so long as whatever modifications made still qualify as "art".

If owners vote to change it, they can change it. If they vote in favour of my proposal to unplug it, it will be unplugged, and it remains art which makes the city happy (it's art now right? and it's currently unplugged).

Who is suing? The neighbouring retailers?

Last edited:
The municipality has laws requiring developers invest in artwork. There is nothing legally requiring the condo corporation to maintain the artwork in exactly the same condition as received; so long as whatever modifications made still qualify as "art".

If owners vote to change it, they can change it. If they vote in favour of my proposal to unplug it, it will be unplugged, and it remains art which makes the city happy (it's art now right? and it's currently unplugged).

Who is suing? The neighbouring retailers?

The corporation is required to keep the artwork in working condition. I know HVE was forced to turn their art back on, despite them electing to turn it off to cut costs. They worked with the artist to change the lighting to improve efficiency, but had to keep it running. They couldn't back out of the developer's agreement.

The corporation is required to keep the artwork in working condition. I know HVE was forced to turn their art back on, despite them electing to turn it off to cut costs. They worked with the artist to change the lighting to improve efficiency, but had to keep it running. They couldn't back out of the developer's agreement.
Apologies, Who's HVE?

Does anyone know what the undersides of the balconies are? Is it painted with grid lines, or is it enclosed with a panel system?
My balcony ceiling is painted but it appears some of Edward's photos show a panel system with vents installed. My vents are installed on the wall with bulk heads leading up to them on the inside.

The balcony ceilings for the penthouse and sub penthouse units appear to have aluminum panels, the rest of the building is painted concrete.

Re: the retail side;

McEwans has moved the McEwan Group's catering operations from Don Mills to Yonge & Bloor. This is one of the MG's big money makers, and makes them more ready to weather the storm of Eataly, and whatever Bloor Market may or may not have up their sleeve. Having once worked for them, this is a big deal and it puts their catering operation in a better location for serving both downtown and midtown markets. It also means they're in this location for the long haul.

Back