Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Is Ron Arad’s, Safe Hands, still happening?

As for the building’s crown lighting: why would this take so long to get fully functioning? It has been partially lit on its west side for over half a year, with a small section additionally illuminated within the last couple of months. What could they possibly be doing that would take so long and why do the lights need to be turned on every night, only to have the majority of the crown remain in darkness? I don’t understand the purpose of partially illuminating the roof, in the meantime, until all the lights are ready to be switched on.

Last edited:

Ahhh, Harvey's. I miss you in the area. A lot of the old school fast food has been replaced with mostly Asian restaurants, and we just lost Craft Burger, Pizza Pizza and a few others north of Bloor. Not such a bad thing, but the area was already not at a loss for Asian food, and some more diversity (not less) would be nice. That said, Onnki Donburi rocks my socks.

Is Ron Arad’s, Safe Hands, still happening?

As for the building’s crown lighting: why would this take so long to get fully functioning? It has been partially lit on its west side for over half a year, with a small section additionally illuminated within the last couple of months. What could they possibly be doing that would take so long and why do the lights need to be turned on every night, only to have the majority of the crown remain in darkness? I don’t understand the purpose of partially illuminating the roof, in the meantime, until all the lights are ready to be switched on.
The public art still has to happen, it's part of the contract with the City. Whether it's exactly as rendered in that animation, well, here's hoping…

In regards to turning on completed crown lighting, my guess is that they would not want to do that until the missing glass panels finally arrive from the manufacturer and are installed. By turning on something like that, you want to say "We're done!" at the same time, otherwise you'd have people criticizing them for not having their priorities in order.

Do we know if the crown lighting will simply be "turning on the mechanical interior lights" (like their X2 building), or proper light design (like Aura or 10 York)? I really hope GG doesn't continue their track record with their lazy approach to lighting design.

Do we know if the crown lighting will simply be "turning on the mechanical interior lights" (like their X2 building), or proper light design (like Aura or 10 York)? I really hope GG doesn't continue their track record with their lazy approach to lighting design.
Proper? Design? Aura????

(eye roll) I referred to Aura's lighting design, which arguably I believe is well done. Not the overall architecture, which is an entirely different discussion ;) Could you elaborate on your comment?
If you think Aura's lighting feature is well-done, then check out this Twitter account documenting how the feature has been broken for ages: https://twitter.com/auraelectrician?lang=en

If you think Aura's lighting feature is well-done, then check out this Twitter account documenting how the feature has been broken for ages: https://twitter.com/auraelectrician?lang=en

Yes, I am well aware of the maintenance issues. But my point was around design, not maintenance - which is yet again another issue I wasn't referring to. I'm sorry, I am really struggling to understand the connection you're trying to make from my comment.

I don't mind it personally, but the attitude at the city is that it was so poorly handled, it's changed the standards by which nighttime lighting is evaluated and approved in upcoming projects. In my experience on another Yonge Street project, we had to prepare a wealth of documents to prove that our proposed plan could be modulated and dimmed at certain points throughout the night. The resulting cost of the new fixtures and the computer control for those fixtures raised the cost of the system exponentially.

Sunrise today.
00217E64-5BB1-46E1-BD66-C0702D99A087.jpeg
FB4775C9-EA4D-4796-85EA-BD0A2F5FE28F.jpeg

Attachments

• 00217E64-5BB1-46E1-BD66-C0702D99A087.jpeg
    00217E64-5BB1-46E1-BD66-C0702D99A087.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 596
  • FB4775C9-EA4D-4796-85EA-BD0A2F5FE28F.jpeg
    FB4775C9-EA4D-4796-85EA-BD0A2F5FE28F.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 617

Back