Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Interesting. Okay next question:

When do build sites decide to use the "Pumpcrete" machine and when do they just use the tradtional 'Crane & Bucket' method?

Today the site at 1 Bloor East is using the pumpcrerte to fill in the huge highly rebarred beams on the south side of the site.

It's the first time I've seen this used. Why would they use the Pumpcrete instead of the Crane & Bucket?

For the pouring of all the floors and columns and wall and everything else on the site since I've been watching it I've never seen them use the Pumpcrete before.

It's also only the 2nd floor if that makes any difference.

IMG_5162.JPG

Interesting. Okay next question:
When do build sites decide to use the "Pumpcrete" machine and when do they just use the tradtional 'Crane & Bucket' method?
Today the site at 1 Bloor East is using the pumpcrerte to fill in the huge highly rebarred beams on the south side of the site.
It's the first time I've seen this used. Why would they use the Pumpcrete instead of the Crane & Bucket?
For the pouring of all the floors and columns and wall and everything else on the site since I've been watching it I've never seen them use the Pumpcrete before.
It's also only the 2nd floor if that makes any difference.

They used the same setup earlier this year for the big pour:

[video=youtube;Sh8xgAXNlqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh8xgAXNlqc[/video]

Okay so obviously pumpcrete is a very efficient way to move large amounts of concrete. So why wouldn't you always use it? I've watche them pour an entire floor using the crane & bucket method. Why wouldn't you just use pumpcrete for that?

because after a certian volume of concrete you can't pour using the crane & bucket method as it dries before you finish pouring. Pumpcrete allows for much faster pouring. (I'm Guessing)

Okay so obviously pumpcrete is a very efficient way to move large amounts of concrete. So why wouldn't you always use it? I've watche them pour an entire floor using the crane & bucket method. Why wouldn't you just use pumpcrete for that?

This is just an uneducated guess, but I am thinking that the pumpcrete rig is fairly expensive and only makes sense to use when large volumes of concrete need to be poured continuously. I am guessing that the crane and bucket method is better suited to complicated layouts, and that the pumpcrete rig will be in use for repetitive floorplates....just guessing though!

Well they just poured an entire floor yesterday using the Pumpcrete. First time I've seen them do that. Up until now, all the floors were poured with the crane & bucket.

It's amazing how fast the concrete dries. Seems like they're walking on it about 30 minutes after they've poured it. And this morning there is all kinds of heavy forms and piles of rebar on it ready for the next floor.

Up, up and away.

It never really stops curing, and the rate at which it cures will vary depending on the mix of aggregate, thickness of the slab, temperature, humidity, etc. A 10" slab might need a few days before the forms are stripped, and then the slab would still need to be supported with jacks for several days after that so that it doesn't sag.

Is there a reason why there's absolutley no one on site today?

Nobody.

It's just a regular Thursday.

Did they run out of money again?

photo.JPG

Maybe because of the heat? But other trades are working around my place...

Maybe they plan to work on Saturday when there's less traffic (or lane closures) for the next pour or something, so they get Today off in lieu of working Saturday.

Save on OT this way, but just a guess.

Back