Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but, I'm hoping for something much better than the podium of Hullmark Centre. Take away the towers and you the makings of generic commercial plaza on Hwy 7.

Giimme a much slimmer version of Vegas' Project City Centre's Tilted Towers on the Gehry podium to start.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but, I'm hoping for something much better than the podium of Hullmark Centre. Take away the towers and you the makings of generic commercial plaza on Hwy 7.

Giimme a much slimmer version of Vegas' Project City Centre's Tilted Towers on the Gehry podium to start.

OH DEAR GAWD! NOT Gehry! I'm tired of that "One-Trick-Pony" and his 'because-I-can' architecture.

I wasn't saying the look of the podium of Hullmark was preferred... but the fact that the shape of its footprint creates a plaza and an opening up of the intersection.

Nothing wrong with a little "because-I-can" architecture. Neither would I consider Gehry a one trick donkey. He's a very talented ass.

OK then... Here is an example of 'Because-we-can' architecture that I think might work at Yonge and Bloor. Except you would need the SW corner as well...

Something like the CCTV Headquarters building in Beijing. If it spanned Yonge Street at or above the 70th floor, this would be an appropriate "Gateway to Downtown" that Yonge Street deserves.

nuchin12.jpg

(Courtesy http://www.thecityreview.com/nuchin.html)

The above is what I characterize as "Bizarre-chitecture" which is one of those buildings like the OCAD building on McCaul, that leaves you scratching your head and saying "Huh?"

Then there is regular architecture - Run of the mill buildings.

Fart-chitecture - A design that stinks no matter how you look at it... I classify all Gehry designs in this catagory.

Art-chitecture - Stunning designs that are more a work of art, than just a design.

And I'm sure other forumers have more definitions to share.

OK then... Here is an example of 'Because-we-can' architecture that I think might work at Yonge and Bloor. Except you would need the SW corner as well...

Something like the CCTV Headquarters building in Beijing. If it spanned Yonge Street at or above the 70th floor, this would be an appropriate "Gateway to Downtown" that Yonge Street deserves.

nuchin12.jpg

See that s*#t blows my mind! Maybe it's just because I cant understand anything related to physics, but how could that possibly stay intact? I would be crapping my pants 24/7 thinking my unit would go crashing to the ground!

The above is what I characterize as "Bizarre-chitecture" which is one of those buildings like the OCAD building on McCaul, that leaves you scratching your head and saying "Huh?"

Fart-chitecture - A design that stinks no matter how you look at it... I classify all Gehry designs in this catagory.

Art-chitecture - Stunning designs that are more a work of art, than just a design.

I don't think that's fair at all to the man. Gehry's AGO will go down as one of the timeless pieces in this city.

See that s*#t blows my mind! Maybe it's just because I cant understand anything related to physics, but how could that possibly stay intact? I would be crapping my pants 24/7 thinking my unit would go crashing to the ground!

Hahaha!!!

I would love to see the units on the bottom of the arch section have glass floors, as it hangs out and over the Yonge and Bloor intersection! Now that would make me crap my pants! LOL LOL

:D

Insightful. And really, where would we be without sweeping generalizations such as those above.

Insightful. And really, where would we be without sweeping generalizations such as those above.

Though your sarcasm is not missed on me... Several categories denoting different interpretations do not constitute a "sweeping generalization" by definition of the term.

:D

nuchin12.jpg

i'd love to see that at Y-B.
this site is about 200 ft x 240 ft - do you really think that needs the SW corner as well?

i'd love to see that at Y-B.
this site is about 200 ft x 240 ft - do you really think that needs the SW corner as well?

Probably not, if copied "as is" but it is only 54 floors and 768ft (234m) tall and I was thinking on a slightly grander scale. More in the 70 to 90 floor range over 300m. Plus I was omitting the base section and spanning Yonge Street to create the gateway as I mentioned. Turned on it's North/South axis and running between Bloor and Hayden, in my opinion, would spoil this gateway effect.

Well, from what I understand, there are quite a few architects and physics buffs who argue that that thing would come crashing down after if the ground shook even slightly. I wonder if Beijing is prone to earthquakes?

Back