Toronto 327 Royal York Road | 118.5m | 35s | VANDYK | SvN

marcus_a_j

Member Bio
Reaction score
No staff report, but development info can be found here.

From NRU

TRANSIT HUB INTENSITY

Mimico station highrise

GO Transit is negotiating a partnership with Terrasan Corporation to integrate the latter’s Royal York Road condo development into the adjacent Mimico GO Station. The proposal calls for a 20-storey condominium tower, with 190 units, and a new parking facility on the station site, to be shared by commuters and condo owners.

“I think it fits into what everyone’s talking about, what we need to be doing in terms of intensification around transit hubs,†Terrasan land development vice president Jeff Usher told NRU.

The site had been the subject of a previous application, though that proposal did not call for much density. Cressford Developments had submitted a plan to the city to develop townhouses on the site, but Terrasan offered to buy the property to put forward a more intense proposal. The site had previously been occupied by the Milne Fuel Oil Depot, though the brownfield property was previously remediated.

“I didn’t think it was a very good use,†ward councillor Mark Grimes told NRU, referring to the previous townhouse proposal. “These are the places we want to intensify.â€

“That’s probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen in my life, putting town homes beside a GO Station,†Usher said.

Terrasan sought out GO Transit to discuss the possibility of sharing property to make more efficient use of the space available. GO entered into the deal to improve parking conditions at the station, located on Royal York Road, south of the Gardiner Expressway.

“We are creating this partnership because our customers would receive more parking spaces at a station where parking is at capacity and this two-level parking structure would be a better utilization of an awkward space,†GO
spokesperson Vanessa Thomas told NRU.

The deal, expected to be finalized over the next few weeks, would include a two-level parking facility, adding 160-new parking spaces to the site, which currently has 174 spaces.

Rezoning and site plan applications are currently being considered by city staff and already Grimes has said that Terrasan’s plan is a good use of the site.

“These are the places that we want to have these types of buildings,†rimes told NRU. “The community should be excited about it.â€

The surrounding area is a mix of densities and uses, including an 18-storey apartment building, cemetery, newly built townhouses, bungalows, public park and retail along Royal York Road.

The building is being designed by Stanford Downey Architects. Construction is tentatively set to begin in 2010.

Sounds like a good application.

Mimico is at the crest of a new development wave and Royal York Rd is one of those old, Metro roads that will soon be hit with massive revitalization. The Mimico GO station is the perfect place for a small high-rise like this and it sounds like the developer is really embracing Transit-Oriented Development by partnering on parking.

3258514230_5218f1f3f9_o.jpg

“That’s probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen in my life, putting town homes beside a GO Station,” Usher said.
Tell that to Port Credit.

I hope this contributes to the revitalization of this shabby Mimico neighbourhood.

Last edited:
I like it but this will look like a monster being surrounded by 1-2 storey homes. Hopefully there is plans for some mid-rises to step down to the surrounding area. Too bad GO won't move its Mimico Station down the tracks to a new Legion Rd Station to correspond to the developments new Parklawn.

Though don't be surprised if this foretells a line of high/mid-rise intensification along the GO line to Legion Rd, replacing industry. (It'd be a shame to lose that enigmatic wooden rope factory tower, though.)

That looks really cool. I think it sounds like a great idea as well. Who wouldn't want to be within walking distance of a GO station? It's a really quick way to get downtown.

good use of the site ... it certainly is the right direction to go, integrating high density developments on sites directly connected to high capacity transit stations ...

I happy to see that Greater Toronto Transit Authority (GTTA) is getting aggresive on development their properties in proximity to Transit ... including their site at 5-7 The Esplanade

Last edited:
Perfect. It will mean the loss of that old brick hut that currently serves as the Mimico Station (the original station was thankfully moved).

The scale actually isn't too bad. There's a mid-rise slab to the northwest, and some linked low-rise apartments to the south. It will stand out, but not like sticking a highrise in the middle of Banbury Drive.

What I think is needed though is a secondary exit to the station out to Manchester Drive. It would mean a more reasonable walk to the southeast and Mimico Village.

Back