Toronto OCAD U: 100 McCaul | 39.4m | 9s | OCADU | Morphosis

The blank wall facing McCaul is the elevator core AFAIK. The City could require the public art component be placed on that wall… so send notes to the City Councillor and/or Planning Department if that's your thinking!

Community Consultation - OCAD University Expansion Proposal

This community meeting is being held to review the re-zoning application that was submitted by OCAD University to the City of Toronto for a five-story expansion at the north end of 100 McCaul Street. City staff and the university’s consultant team will present an overview of the application and will listen to questions and comments.

Meeting details:
Wednesday January 15
5:30-6pm:
Open House
6-7:30pm:
Presentations and Q & A

1569899902346-png.206569

I'm ok with this. Far better than the south building under the tabletop.

Also, it looks like they're doing a nice cleanup of the original building, replacing the brick and windows and removing the clutter on the sidewalk.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 6.09.21 PM.png

The blank wall facing McCaul is the elevator core AFAIK. The City could require the public art component be placed on that wall… so send notes to the City Councillor and/or Planning Department if that's your thinking!

Yes, it's the elevator core.
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 6.19.25 PM.png

But it's an opportunity to do something interesting like a glass clad elevator shaft.

That said, they're probably just taking cues from the AGO next door which also has blank walls facing McCaul.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 6.22.27 PM.png

They actually just began to re-opne their first floor studios along the northeastern edge along McCaul. I'll grab some pics tomorrow.

It would be great if OCAD U had an intercollegiate athletics program.

Even Ontario Tech has an intercollegiate athletics program.
I remember trying to drum up interest in that when I was there with some classmates. Pretty much no interest as a whole as everyone was either a) not into sports in the least b) went back to Etobicoke/Mississauga after classes.

The lack of area to play anything was pretty tough too. I imagine if there was at the very least a small basketball court or something that volleyball/basketball/floor hockey etc. could have been a bit more viable.

Yes, it's the elevator core.

But it's an opportunity to do something interesting like a glass clad elevator shaft.

That said, they're probably just taking cues from the AGO next door which also has blank walls facing McCaul.

Meh- still a sort of awkward massing. I would personally love a surface for a OCAD mural program if the current layout is set in stone. Or even just panels with the same angled cues as the windows.

IMO I doubt they were pulling references from the blandest part of AGO, though.

OCAD U is on track to develop its Creative City Campus plan including the revitalization and expansion of its core spaces on McCaul Street as well as establishment of new learning space in the new Mirvish+Gehry project on King Street West. The Ignite Imagination campaign has raised $70 million, with a goal of $100 million to support the Creative City Campus, infrastructure projects, galleries, people and programs.

Last edited:

Back