Toronto Oakwood Residences | 20.73m | 6s | Katalyst | Melillo Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...4300083&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

601 OAKWOOD AVE
Ward 15 - North York District

Proposed 4 storey mixed use building with 30 residential apartment units and ground floor retail. 12 stacked parking spaces would be located at the rear of the building, with access from adjacent laneway. Rear landscape open space and roof-top amenity area. Concurrent rezoning application.

oakwood.JPG

Attachments

• oakwood.JPG
    oakwood.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,795
Looks like a large fire hall.
This proposal is really 6-storeys -- calling it 4-storeys is really pushing it. The "mezzanine" level between the ground floor and 2nd floor is its own separate residential level that's not open nor shared with the residential spaces below, and the amenity room is on the 6th floor that's accessed by stairs and an elevator (there is no mechanical penthouse, just exposed mechanical equipment on the roof).

The basement apartments with north-facing light wells that abut the alleyway probably won't fly with the City. Those deep light wells will become dark and nasty garbage and dirt pits.
Most of the apartment units are really tiny and poorly laid out (many 530 sq.ft. 2-bedroom units with bedrooms not properly designed for a bed).
The lack of any loading area or garbage bin staging and loading, especially when there is a commercial space in the building are also items the City would have issues with.
This building has a ton of unresolved issues and needs to go back to the drawing board.

If it sounds under 30 units you don't need loading. There is a minimum for retail too but I can't recall off the top of my head.

I don't mind this. It's not a masterpiece and probably wasn't trying to be one. Toronto needs more residential buildings of this scale. This is the 'missing middle' that folks have been chatting about

I don't mind this. It's not a masterpiece and probably wasn't trying to be one. Toronto needs more residential buildings of this scale. This is the 'missing middle' that folks have been chatting about

The scale is fine, but why does it have to be so ugly?

Newest version:

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 1.58.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 1.58.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 1.58.44 PM.png

The fine details are still a bit iffy and will depend on final materials and execution, but still a significant improvement over the last 2 iterations.

Back