Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

Mercer is one of my favorite streets in the city, its narrow yet exclusive feeling within the heart of Toronto. I will reserve judgement on this for now, but the blurred rendering screams of 80s postmodernism, Miami style. This premium site deserves something else, something with some contemporary lines, something a little bold perhaps. I really don't want this to feel like another city, I desperately desire something uniquely Toronto to emerge from this boom but my hopes have been more or less thwarted as of now. The Entertainment district could become our showcase for 2010s architecture, as so many buildings are going up where previously only low rises existed.

This one looks pretty bad to me. Something that you might see in SCC, or somewhere that just about any project might be considered positive. It's a low res rendering and I haven't seen the other side of the building, but it's unlikely either of those will redeem this one.

I really have trouble understanding your aesthetic tastes.

Apologies if I seem to be jumping in over Caltrane, but I think the explanation is quite simple. People are different.

I also like the new Four Seasons, yet I also like this, and numerous other projects that are dismissed as "clumsy" or "905" by the modernist hordes on this forum. It's a GOOD thing we don't all agree, or the city would be a mono-culture.

Last edited:
I'm not just a fan of modernism. For example, Dupont Terrace looks great. http://dupontterrace.com/

yuck
Sick_smiley.png

The dream news is a big-ass redesign to something more attractive and less "I wanna be in Miami."

just spitballin' here - but I think this would be a wonderful location for a hotel

Last edited:

Back