Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

the restored buildings are turning out nicely. Wish the podium above it looked like the podium of the Mercer instead. It'd be a lot more complimentary .

00E7088D-4DC3-4D2E-A313-D3F4BF99446A.jpeg

^^^ I disagree. I don't think it's "that bad" or even just "bad." It's not what the renderings promised but it still looks good IMO. I think this project's gotten an unfair pile-on.

^^^ I disagree. I don't think it's "that bad" or even just "bad." It's not what the renderings promised but it still looks good IMO. I think this project's gotten an unfair pile-on.
I agree maybe it’s because so many peoples criticized theses towers, maybe it’s because Montréal doesn’t get many great new towers, maybe it’s the colour I like, maybe it’s because they are twins towers and I am a twin, I dont know, but I really love these two new buildings according to the pictures posted here.

It keeps getting lost here that, no one here thinks the architecture/design is bad. The anger is directed at the final material choices that are clearly not intended by the architect and are the result of the developer cutting costs.

I've already dug apart many of the other elements that were omitted (channeled glass, copper sheets, window wall vs curtain wall etc.) but as an example, these are both Teeple designed buildings.

Many here were anticipating a glass the colour on the left. It's not hard to understand why many here are calling it bad.

(Images sourced from Cranesinthe6ix and here.)

1682112219996.png

I get that we had to deal with so many bad buildings and/or bad decisions made of buildings that will be there polluting our skyline for generations and lifetimes to come...that our morale for expecting better have all but evaporated here... /sigh

It keeps getting lost here that, no one here thinks the architecture/design is bad. The anger is directed at the final material choices that are clearly not intended by the architect and are the result of the developer cutting costs.

I've already dug apart many of the other elements that were omitted (channeled glass, copper sheets, window wall vs curtain wall etc.) but as an example, these are both Teeple designed buildings.

Many here were anticipating a glass the colour on the left. It's not hard to understand why many here are calling it bad.

(Images sourced from Cranesinthe6ix and here.)
While Teeple did the early work, anything of real value to the construction of the building was TFAI. Steve bows out pretty quickly after zoning / NOAC are achieved.

It's symptomatic of a bit of a dated outlook among many 'design' firms. I did a longer post on it a couple months ago, specific to Teeple, (it'd be great if someone could find it and post it here) but the gist of it is: many architects don't see multi-family residential work as 'real' work. It's not going to win them awards, so they don't really care (even if, far more than work that does bring in awards, it pays the bills and keeps the lights on). It's a funny paradox.

...in the end though, pearls where handed over to swine. /sigh

It's symptomatic of a bit of a dated outlook among many 'design' firms. I did a longer post on it a couple months ago, specific to Teeple, (it'd be great if someone could find it and post it here) but the gist of it is: many architects don't see multi-family residential work as 'real' work. It's not going to win them awards, so they don't really care (even if, far more than work that does bring in awards, it pays the bills and keeps the lights on). It's a funny paradox.

But doesn't a building, whether or not it's residential, still impact their overall reputation?

But doesn't a building, whether or not it's residential, still impact their overall reputation?
I'd say their read on something like this is 'no'. We here all know the players, but how many ordinary folks will know both who the architect of a particular condo is, or even how to find that info if one were so inclined. Contrast that with an 'award winning' library or community centre or academic building, where the 'designer' is placed front and centre, and you'll immediately see the difference.

Back