Niagara Falls Niagara 77 Condos | 248.85m | 77s | Fugiel International Group | Chamberlain

Being familiar with NF, I am completely baffled by these proposals. Is there that much demand to live in a condo there, or are these airbnb units?

Is there even demand for airbnb units? You got maybe 5 months max you can fill the units. Niagara isn't exactly a year round destination. I know some restaurants don't even bother opening during the winter months.

But this is typical Niagara Falls, every year we get at least two or three pie in the sky in proposals.

Ugly lines and massing to this thing anyway. And yes, the podium is the worst part of it - by a tiny margin. The whole thing is ill-considered and awkward.

Is there even demand for airbnb units? You got maybe 5 months max you can fill the units. Niagara isn't exactly a year round destination. I know some restaurants don't even bother opening during the winter months.

But this is typical Niagara Falls, every year we get at least two or three pie in the sky in proposals.
Fake proposals for a fake city? I'm shocked!

Imagine walking into BMO and asking for a $400 million construction loan for this. Where do you even begin to source capital to build something so farcical?

Isn't Jenny Coco looking for a new building to invest in now?

🤣

Imagine walking into BMO and asking for a $400 million construction loan for this. Where do you even begin to source capital to build something so farcical?
Isn't the harder part financing the pre-development costs (engineering, legal, etc.). If you were to presell a bunch of units I don't see the construction financing being that difficult.

Updated Renders

77 NIAGARA - 1.jpg

77 NIAGARA - 2.jpg

77 NIAGARA - 3.jpg

77 NIAGARA - 7.jpg

Though this is a fantasy private development (most likely trying to get approvals so the property could be flipped to another developer, just like many vacant lots in the area), I think the City should be improving the the quality and intensity of low and mid-rise near the falls instead wasting time reviewing out-of-place and out-of-context projects like this. Many of the streets look really sad, sparsely populated by old houses, tourist-trap stores/restaurants, and aging apartment and hotel buildings mixed with parking lots everywhere. It‘s not pretty and feels trashy.
A nicely-planned master planned commercial and cultural district mixed with residential should be the priority here — ad-hoc Vegas-style singular high rises shouldn’t be allowed here. I don’t think there is a real demand for condos like this here.

Though this is a fantasy private development (most likely trying to get approvals so the property could be flipped to another developer, just like many vacant lots in the area), I think the City should be improving the the quality and intensity of low and mid-rise near the falls instead wasting time reviewing out-of-place and out-of-context projects like this. Many of the streets look really sad, sparsely populated by old houses, tourist-trap stores/restaurants, and aging apartment and hotel buildings mixed with parking lots everywhere. It‘s not pretty and feels trashy.
A nicely-planned master planned commercial and cultural district mixed with residential should be the priority here — ad-hoc Vegas-style singular high rises shouldn’t be allowed here. I don’t think there is a real demand for condos like this here.

I feel like Niagara-on-the-Lake has something to model to Niagara Falls. I don't mean the rigid historicity of its core, nor its comparatively low density; but rather, a clear sense of what draws people to its downtown area; and what local residents appreciate about same.

Niagara Falls can be more open to significant size, and more open to modern architecture, while showing a greater amount of deference to cohesive architectural expression and planning (including massing, podium quality, and grade use/expression) that furthers what makes it a good place to live; and a quality tourist destination.

Some of that would be challenging to regulate; though simply incentivizing desirable choices by making them as-of-right, and reducing fees and approval times would go some distance in that direction.

Creating a design-review-panel may make sense.

Given the relatively (by Golden Horseshoe standards) low cost of much land in this area; perhaps more public ownership of key sites should also be considered in order to make appropriate development a condition of sale or lease.

There is also a need to plan for an LRT transit line in Niagara, and make sure one understands what a desirable streetscape and development pattern supporting that would look like.......as well as add some strategic lands
for parks, for moving parking further away from The Falls and placing it underground where possible, and achieving specific gains in cycling safety, retail that supports year-round residents, off-season vitality.

Last edited:

Back