Toronto Museum FLTS. at Lower JCT. | ?m | 10s | Castlepoint Numa | a—A

Automation Gallery presented a much different story than what I gather is happening with Museum FLTS. In his case, a purchaser has signed off on hundreds of thousands of dollar for a unit that hasn't been approved . In my books, they are accepting full responsibility that they may not get the unit they have purchased.

MuseumFLTS screams of Calgary circa 2006 when inflation went bonkers. Almost every developer went back to the purchasers and gave them an ultimatum to pay up (sometimes $50,000 more for the unit) or give up their rights to purchase. That is a developer not doing their due diligence or just being greedy and it was completely dishonest and unfair.

Automation Gallery presented a much different story than what I gather is happening with Museum FLTS. In his case, a purchaser has signed off on hundreds of thousands of dollar for a unit that hasn't been approved . In my books, they are accepting full responsibility that they may not get the unit they have purchased.

MuseumFLTS screams of Calgary circa 2006 when inflation went bonkers. Almost every developer went back to the purchasers and gave them an ultimatum to pay up (sometimes $50,000 more for the unit) or give up their rights to purchase. That is a developer not doing their due diligence or just being greedy and it was completely dishonest and unfair.

Totally agree with the greed and being an unethical builder...., buyers fully understand the consequences it must just suck for them when the developer is in full control and takes advantage of the market and buyers. Oh well good luck to the new buyers when it re-launches.

I live next to Castlepoint's site, totally agree. There is so much potential here but it needs to be planned. Sterling road is a bottleneck and fairly busy all day and night with trucks going to and from the Nestle factory. The transit in the area is excellent and everything is walkable but we all know that density brings cars and there doesn't seem to be a plan for how that traffic is going to work. There is a single street to drive into the site, two to drive out (half of Sterling is one-way). Realistically, not sure much can be done, train tracks on two of three sides of the site...

There's transit in the vicinity of the site but the site itself isn't well connected. What I'd do in this area is demolish most everything that's not a heritage building. Get rid of sterling road to the north and instead extend Symington south and eventually merge it to Sterling to the south of the Auto Building. I'd then have the Symington bus service the area and down to Dundas before it goes back to its terminal stop at Dundas West station. Sterling, as you explained isn't designed for large numbers of pedestrians treading it up on down, so I think fixing up the deficient street network (in conjunction with the Loblaws site to the west) and better integration to public transit is essential to avoiding another Liberty Village nightmare here.

The city must learn from Liberty Village. In the past, they seem to have treated industrial districts like Liberty as lower priority in planning. Then, the districts were redeveloped and became popular places, but it was too late to make significant changes to the infrastructure after the new buildings went in. Thus, residents were saddled with infrastructure issues in spite of hundreds of millions of dollars of private-sector investment and all the opportunities of the blank canvasses of various post-industrial redevelopment sites.

There's transit in the vicinity of the site but the site itself isn't well connected. What I'd do in this area is demolish most everything that's not a heritage building. Get rid of sterling road to the north and instead extend Symington south and eventually merge it to Sterling to the south of the Auto Building. I'd then have the Symington bus service the area and down to Dundas before it goes back to its terminal stop at Dundas West station. Sterling, as you explained isn't designed for large numbers of pedestrians treading it up on down, so I think fixing up the deficient street network (in conjunction with the Loblaws site to the west) and better integration to public transit is essential to avoiding another Liberty Village nightmare here.

Oh, that would REALLY suck for Symington bus riders going to Dundas West station. And who is going to buy up the many homes / commercial properties on Perth/Sterling to make that happen?

It will only be about a 600-650m walk from the furthest part of this development to TTC/GO/UP via the Railpath.

I don't think there will be a huge number of pedestrians going up/down Sterling when this is built out. The biggest destinations will be Dundas West / Bloor stations, Bloor-Lansdowne, etc., which have shorter routes via the Railpath or Ruttan St. (and future Bloor-Lansdowne GO / Trail).

With a lesser amount of re-development, Ruttan St. will likely connect to Sterling at some point in the future too (it sort of already does via private property). This is a far more likely connection to relieve bottlenecks than razing blocks of residential and commercial buildings.

It would probably be easier to build a street to the west through the Loblaws site. Symington is a residential street. There are too many properties to redevelop to the north. That's a Haussmann plan you are suggesting.

As per the Lobbyist Registry, Marlin Spring has begun to lobby on future phases, specifically Blocks 3B, 5B and 5C

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32372​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

181 Sterling Road - Block 3B, 5B, 5C

A reminder of the block plan:

1632750833104.png

Taken from @PMT ''s post on p.1 of this thread: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-4m-17s-marlin-spring-graziani-corazza.27209/

Last edited:

Back