Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

E

Ed007Toronto

Murano
MuranoRender.jpg

Developer: Lanterra
Architect: Peter Clewes, architectsAlliance
Planning Docs: www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2004/agendas/committees/ts/ts040217/it004.pdf
Designation: Residential
Expected Occupancy: 2008
Height:
Floors: South 43 North 35
Size:
Value:

Looks like they have the same problems with water that Minto Midtown had. Pumps all along the perimeter of the base.

I noticed that a week or so ago too. There doesn't appear to be much activity there in the past month.

The 1% cost of construction art contribution will apparently be some kind of sculpted/coloured glass features along the podium level.

huh ... never noticed the huge brown mechanical box on top of the towers. That should have been enclosed with an extension of the glass envelope in my opinion.

I get the feeling these towers will end up looking just like Spire with the exception of the base. Not that that would be a bad thing.

Not if the developer remotely keeps his promise (remotely isn't too optimistic is it?).

If you visit the website all they talk about is the glass, glass, glass... and how unique it will be

" a new-looking glass that will reflect...."

"intricate glass exterior facade".

Of course all this may well be a wank to legitimize the team's big drunk in Venice.... in which case you are right... it's Sp!re.

huh ... never noticed the huge brown mechanical box on top of the towers. That should have been enclosed with an extension of the glass envelope in my opinion.

I agree.

Given the name of the buildings - Murano - they'll surely have to do something vitreous and decorative to justify using it, as Mike in TO indicates they will.

Renderings suggested Spire would look almost Commerce Court-like in colour - sleekly silver - but the reality is that it's a darkish green, with bold vertical slashes in various colours, notably yellow.

To me, the renderings seem to suggest almost an oily (rainbow streaks) look to the glass. 4 Seasons also appears this way. It will be interesting to see how they compare when completed.

Jackhammer:

I think they could achieve that sort of a look with very expensive clear glass (like the type used at the Opera House). Not very likely for Murano, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up at 4 Seasons.

AoD

There is a competition or something along those lines for the glass art component design for the second floor of the podium of Murano.

Phase 3 will likely be launched this spring. 48 floors in a trapezoid shaped tower.

.... would that be a isosceles trapezoid?

Mike in TO, are you a planner/employed with City Planning?

Thanks for the info, Mike in TO. Are you basing the trapezoid shape on something you've seen or something you've heard? That would be interesting to see the way something like that might interact in the sky with the first two phases assuming it's of the same materials.

Back