Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

There are balconies on the north and south faces. There might be some units without balconies, but the buildings have sold quite well nonetheless.

Mike - are there any bylaws that require balconies for condos in this city? Or up to a certain height? Or is it merely left to the developer to offer them?

There are balconies on the north and south faces. There might be some units without balconies, but the buildings have sold quite well nonetheless.

I can see there are balconies on the north and south side. What I'm saying is I like the look of the side without balconies. And I would like to see a new building without them at all. Interchange 42's question goes for me as well.

I like the side without balconies as well. Generally I do not like balconies. the ones I do like are those sunken in (like N1 and X) or make up a continual band around the building like the Met.

/\ I completely agree with you. Too often developers present the balcony as some sort of small-apartment-tradeoff-panacea, semi-analogous to the lawns and parks which characterized Moses' (failed) low-income developments.

There are exceptions to this. I find that the most successful way to treat balconies in relation to the repetitive context of a residential tower is to integrate them in some way with the structure itself. Clews is quite good at this and the balconies on the proposed 16 York show his skill. Another good example (aside from X) would be Aura, where balconies are not necessarily integrated into the structure, but are still design elements which provide some relief on an otherwise sheer facade.

I was by today and noticed that the two floors of windows (3rd & 4th floors) in the south tower facing Bay are considerably bluer than those in the north tower. Could they be going for a different shade to give each building a bit of a different look or perhaps a production problem? Given a connecting podium I would have expected some consistency. I though I'd point it out to anyone who happens by there to take a look.

I noticed that in the photos too but figured it was just something different reflecting off of them. That should be an interesting effect and I wonder how they're going to mesh it all together at the base.

I noticed the difference in colour as I walked north of College on the west side of Bay Street approaching the site from the south. It looked the same from Grosvenor & Bay (north end of the site) so I looked to see if I could observe anything which might be reflecting on the glass but couldn't pin point anything.

Mike - are there any bylaws that require balconies for condos in this city? Or up to a certain height? Or is it merely left to the developer to offer them?

Interchange, there are no requirements, but generally consumers want their units to have balconies and therefore they are provided by developers.

Back