News   Mar 28, 2024
 471     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 313     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 330     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Noting that federally, both the Greens and Bloc got less than what Goldy is polling - it will be interesting if they find a way of excluding her from the debates.

Of course they will. It's all an arbitrary popularity contest.
Dude, I'd really like a bit of a mindfunk listening to her talk. Pain makes you feel alive. :)

To be honest, while I think she's a level above (ok, like ten) the other two in terms of stupidity, it'd still be interesting to see who made me yawn and roll my eyes the most.
It'd be like watching boring, slightly more interesting, and mental going at it.

I can't believe I'm going to end up voting for slightly more interesting. What's happening to me as I age?

Depends.
Last election was a record 60% voter turnout. Previous election in 2010 had 50% turnout.
2000's elections (3 of them) had voter turnouts under 40%.
So it appears that if no Ford is running for Mayor - 40% is the benchmark.

This election will have a lower turnout even without the intervention by the Province as its really not a competitive race for Tory to fire up voters.

Doesn't reducing Councillors automatically make the mayor stronger. And I don't think Ford is going to help a strong mayor system become full reality unless Mikey is about to take over. People in power dont give up power very often yet alone someone with Fords ego.

TTC Riders is Hosting a transit debate as well.
YKm1765.png

http://www.ttcriders.ca/wp-content/...yoral-Transit-Debate-set-for-September-26.pdf
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-2018-mayoral-transit-debate-tickets-49925570726

The following candidates have confirmed their attendance:
  1. Jennifer Keesmaat
  2. Sarah Climenhaga
  3. Saron Gebresellassi

He went to plenty the last time around. I think he will have to in the face of a newly configured council.

He went to plenty the last time around. I think he will have to in the face of a newly configured council.
Yeah, he knew though that he would be a better speaker than the Fords or Chow. I bet he really picks and chooses this time around.

I think Tory knows darned well that Keesmaat is a viable opponent, i.e. more like Pitfield '06 than Gomberg '00.

But how much can she air it, and to what effect. Tory's been front and centre during all of Toronto's crises. For his faults, and we all have faults with him (or anybody who's in charge), he's been the face of Toronto for the last four years. Can't say the same about Keesmaat.

If the hard left thinks he's too right, and the hard-right thinks he's too left, that right there may be a sign he's the optimal leader. We're a huge ass city with a core, central area, and expansive suburbs. He can't be part right some of the time or all right all the time. He'll find the somewhere in between. Which is why he'll assuredly win.

Back