Toronto Motion On Bay Street | ?m | 29s | Concert | IBI Group

Yes, the old style was much better. I also love the wooden utility poles, cracks in the sidewalk, potholes, garbage on the street, homeless people, as well as other "unique" attributes that make a city beautiful :)

Yes, the old style was much better. I also love the wooden utility poles, cracks in the sidewalk, potholes, garbage on the street, homeless people, as well as other "unique" attributes that make a city beautiful :)

Hmmm... one of these things is not like the others. Real classy.

Comparing Forest Hill or Rosedale to central Paris is fair--both are wealthy districts.

except Forest Hill/Rosedale are pure residential with close to zero retail, and the houses are predominantly low rise, while most Parisian streets are lined with small retail, cafes, patisseries, boulangeries etc with mostly 4-10 storeys.

Paris after dark is still vibrant with pedestrians and tourists, while Forest Hill/Rosedale are pretty much dead 24/7.

Forest Hill/Rosedale bear more similarity with a typical suburban neighbourhood in other North American cities than with Paris - which is completely different in terms of the build form and the urban vibe. How can you even start to compare.

Denny's is so blah...I'll have my Yueh Tung any day.

if you are familiar with Chinese food, you should know that Yueh Tung is a very blah Cantonese restaurant among the 5,000 Toronto has.

However, it has excellent value. A full meal with 50 selections for under $10 including tax/tips, honestly way better value that those generic fake Sushi Bento and a bowl Ramen that costs $15+. I honestly have no idea why people eat a bowl of ramen with two slices of pork for $20.

if you are familiar with Chinese food, you should know that Yueh Tung is a very blah Cantonese restaurant among the 5,000 Toronto has.

However, it has excellent value. A full meal with 50 selections for under $10 including tax/tips, honestly way better value that those generic fake Sushi Bento and a bowl Ramen that costs $15+. I honestly have no idea why people eat a bowl of ramen with two slices of pork for $20.

*Hakka Chinese.

Didn't necessary say it was amazing either, just better than Denny's...

Last edited:
*Hakka Chinese.

Didn't necessary say it was amazing either, just better than Denny's...

Probably many Canadians don't know this: Hakka is part of Canton (Guangdong Province).
The name Yueh Tung literally means: "Canton East" in Chinese, Yueh is the brief form of Guangdong Province, and Tung means East, as Hakka people are mostly located in east Guangdong Province. The Chinese people don't really differentiate these two.

I agree it is better than a Denny's downtown. Don't we have enough places selling hamburgers? Denny's, Wendy's, Five Guys, McDonald's, Hero Burger --all the burgers.

Last edited:
Probably many Canadians don't know this: Hakka is part of Canton (Guangdong Province).
The name Yueh Tung literally means: "Canton East" in Chinese, Yueh is the brief form of Guangdong Province, and Tung means East, as Hakka people are mostly located in east Guangdong Province. The Chinese people don't really differentiate these two.

I agree it is better than a Denny's downtown. Don't we have enough places selling hamburgers? Denny's, Wendy's, Five Guys, McDonald's, Hero Burger --all the burgers.

Hakka people have traditionally identified themselves as a distinct dialect and (in this case) cuisine group from the overall Cantonese, along with other elements of culture. Especially among the worldwide diaspora. Similar to the Teochew (also from Guangdong province) who can also be distinguished by dialect and cuisine. Pretty standard for Chinese and savvy restaurant goers to differentiate between them. An example is how Indian customers generally prefer Hakka Chinese food.

You're making the assumption that Denny's only sells burgers. Denny's has a lot of American comfort food that you can't find at other places, and they're open 24 hours. Also, not many places in the city where you can get breakfast 24 hours.

One dreams of a world where developers or the city insist on certain standards and practices when it comes to the installation of commercial signage on major downtown streets.

There are few things more depressing and uglifying about the public realm in Toronto than the relentless, mold-like spread of these protruding cheap and ugly light boxes that bear absolutely no relationship to the building.

Shouldn't developers be obligated have some kind of plan for how to address the signage of their retail tenants? These are not quite as bad as the all-time winner (see below), but getting up there, especially for a corner like Bay and Dundas.

Back