Toronto Motion On Bay Street | ?m | 29s | Concert | IBI Group

Despite it's relative lack of height, I find that this project has done wonders for increasing the sense of density and "endless city" in this part of town. It used to be that when I stood at Yonge & Dundas and looked west, or when I'd be going south on Bay from, say, Elm, the city seemed to suddenly give way to large open skies and empty spaces that created the sensation that you'd discovered the threshold between downtown and the inner low-rise neighbourhoods. Now that the intersection is so strongly hemmed in, when you look towards it, or go past it, you still feel as though you're right in the thick of the city. The new Sick Kids research tower has also helped in that regard.

Yep, agreed. I'm interested to see if there'll be any proposals--I actually think I remember hearing of one?--for the building on the n/w corner. Obviously it should stay, but whether something was going to be put on top of it.

Not to mention I remember hearing about proposals to increase the height of the Atrium too, but I might also just be making that up.

Not to mention I remember hearing about proposals to increase the height of the Atrium too, but I might also just be making that up.

I think there might be a thread on that, it is indeed proposed.

Today:

JnX4q55.jpg

The gloominess created by the dark tones is rather draining, though it does have its decent moments under certain lighting and angles. Overall, I find this a tolerable slab. The Ted Rogers building otoh needs to be torched. What was Zeidler thinking? Almost like he wanted his name to be mentioned among Toronto's all-time ugliest buildings.

The gloominess created by the dark tones is rather draining, though it does have its decent moments under certain lighting and angles. Overall, I find this a tolerable slab. The Ted Rogers building otoh needs to be torched. What was Zeidler thinking? Almost like he wanted his name to be mentioned among Toronto's all-time ugliest buildings.

IMO the brown/beige does it in- if it were any other color (e.g. silver/black), I think the building would have been minimally tolerable. Otherwise, Motion is looking great; a good example of how a good colour of spandrel and mullion choice can really make a glass wall look more expensive than it really is.

Agreed! Drove past it today and thought how much it's improved the intersection. Great looking building; would have made a fine condo apartment, too, but happy that it's a rental. Great pic, sMT.

Great news, the Royal Bank is opening a branch on the first floor of this building. Retail on Bay St. is so exciting.

Really good shots above. I really like this intersection now, including the Rogers building which I know some don't. Even walking along the south side of Dundas St between Yonge & Bay feels really busy, energized and pleasant with all the gardens and trees maturing now. Five years ago this area was so bleak, now it's a nice little stretch thanks to a couple of great buildings, wide sidewalks, added retail and fine streetscaping improvements.

Great news, the Royal Bank is opening a branch on the first floor of this building. Retail on Bay St. is so exciting.
Seriously, I think the big five banks are fully determined to open branches in every new building going up. For this sole reason alone I would rather keep yonge street the way it is decrepit stores and all, if the only tenants that an afford the rents in here are bank branches. For the life of me i cant figure out how the nail salons afford it, as that will be another new business opening next to RBC at motion.

Nail salons, like coffee shops and dry cleaners, have very low costs and big profit margins. They are like weeds: since they are so hardy, they can survive pretty much anywhere, even if the general environment is relatively hostile to retail.

Back