Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

That park is terrible imo.
One of those designs that are conceptually interesting, but a mess in reality. The park is not inviting or pleasant to spend time in, and it handles day to day wear very badly.

That park is terrible imo.
One of those designs that are conceptually interesting, but a mess in reality. The park is not inviting or pleasant to spend time in, and it handles day to day wear very badly.

I think the water feature really works well, on both sides of Queen's Quay (when it's working as intended).

The rest of the north park is problematic.

It doesn't flow well and it's not inviting really, either as play space for the kids or as space to read or smooch a date or w/e.

It could be, it's just not.

I think it was a mistake to create these sideways oriented 'rooms' perpendicular to the water feature.

I think what would have worked better is a clear entrance at the North-West Corner and one at the South-West corner; and perhaps one mid-block connection to a single clear space in parallel to the water feature.

It needs more shade, at least one one side of the water; a seat-wall next to the water and/or vegetation, and intimately scaled lighting, excepting that for the water feature itself.

I'm going to add that the grass is the wrong ground cover here..........even if well maintained, it creates a blandness and disinterest.

But what do I know......?

I think the water feature really works well, on both sides of Queen's Quay (when it's working as intended).

The rest of the north park is problematic.

It doesn't flow well and it's not inviting really, either as play space for the kids or as space to read or smooch a date or w/e.

It could be, it's just not.

I think it was a mistake to create these sideways oriented 'rooms' perpendicular to the water feature.

I think what would have worked better is a clear entrance at the North-West Corner and one at the South-West corner; and perhaps one mid-block connection to a single clear space in parallel to the water feature.

It needs more shade, at least one one side of the water; a seat-wall next to the water and/or vegetation, and intimately scaled lighting, excepting that for the water feature itself.

I'm going to add that the grass is the wrong ground cover here..........even if well maintained, it creates a blandness and disinterest.

But what do I know......?

Agreed, the park is terrible - even from day one it seemed like a bad idea. I rarely see anyone actually use it. Aside from the water feature, they should look at the St. James Park playground and just redo it; because honestly, flat grass with picnic tables would've been better IMHO.

Does anyone have a good picture of the park? I looked at the rendering it looks interesting, especially the water feature.

Does anyone have a good picture of the park? I looked at the rendering it looks interesting, especially the water feature.
Filter for Sherbourne Common in the Project Database, click it, then click the links to the Buildings Discussion thread. You'll find plenty of shots in there.

I think the park has suffered from being in a complete construction zone for years, so it's tough to say whether it works or not- short of heading north to Esplanade, theres no pull from the southern section of Sherbourne Commons. Will retail in the bottom of Monde animate the park more? Or will the Gardiner/Lake Shore prove a deterrent, driving people further south?

I was noticing that the hardscape has been largely completed on the west side of the building next to Sherbourne Common. But the south and east side have been sitting untouched for months. Are they waiting for Bonnycastle to be rebuilt?

At least the water was back on today.

20190812_185045_HDR.jpg

Back